Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post but not my first time on a forum. Yes I did a search.

2003 SE wagon 5-speed. Has a rough idle and a stumble if you happen to be in too high a gear and hit the gas. It gets worse if it's raining and or the A/C is on. Research shows that these are symptoms of a bad DPFE. As we all know there is no DPFE on these engines so what could the problem be?

Thanx for the help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome.

Please excuse any ignorance on my part, I just bought this car a couple of weeks ago.

I have the 2.3 liter PZEV motor, which I believe is the precursor to the Duratec. It is a DOHC motor and is not a Zetec. Like the Duratec it does not have a DPFE.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I have the 2.3 liter PZEV motor, which I believe is the precursor to the Duratec. It is a DOHC motor and is not a Zetec. Like the Duratec it does not have a DPFE.
The 2.3L "PZEV" engine is a Duratec engine. The PZEV part is just the fact that the engine meets the Partial Zero Emission Vehicle regulations as required by California and a few other states.

PZEV does not really add anything performance wise besides in 03-04 vehicles the 2.3L engine which is more powerful than any of the 2.0L engines used in the Focus's from 00-07 (SPI, Zetec, or Duratec). However it does add a stricter emissions system which is supposed to eliminate fuel vapor emissions from the vehicle, a secondary air injection system to help "preheat"/warmup the catalytic converters, I believe an extra catalytic converter as well, and a 15yr 150000 mile emission system warranty (which is only valid in states that require California emission standards otherwise if the PZEV vehicle is registered in another state the federal 7yr/70000 mile emission system warranty applies).

Otherwise for an otherwise like engine PZEV equiped engines are (rated at least) less powerful than an otherwise identical non PZEV engine (e.g. Duratec 2.0 vs Duratec 2.0 PZEV).

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
Thanks for the welcome.

Please excuse any ignorance on my part, I just bought this car a couple of weeks ago.

It is a duratec, the 2.3l was offered starting in '03 in PZEV states (CA.) Essentially the same 2.3L that was then used in the 05-07 ST's, just varying levels of emissions stuff depending on what state the car came from.

You have a unicorn; 2.3L, manual and wagon, that's a rare combination. Now hopefully some better educated people can help you keep the motor running smoothly

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved this to General Tech Chat for more looks at the repair problem.

Couple things to look at, as well as check for 'pending" codes.

If the intake manifold "tumble flaps" aren't always working, you can get a bit of stumble. Actuator arm can be seen just behind the throttle body, check for it moving when the throttle is moved (rev. it up & watch).

Plugs are a good thing to check, along with the 'plug boots" on the coils. If those are OK and this gets worse you may have a coil starting to fail.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
A 2003 2.3 with an original PCV Hose has surely gotta be a leaky or cracked up mess of a hose. (possible vac leak)

Please check out this thread->
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=212938

A brand new 2003 with an engine stumble wants to have a cylinder compression test done. The tester is Free to loan at AutoZone or similar stores.

A brand new 2003 wants to have a new fuel filter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<snip>

You have a unicorn; 2.3L, manual and wagon, that's a rare combination. Now hopefully some better educated people can help you keep the motor running smoothly
A Unicorn you say, I never did believe in them though this one does only have 1 horn. From it's size & weight I thought it might be a Narwhal. [giggle]

I'll check the plugs, "tumble flaps" & PCV hose this weekend. I did have a Mercury Sable with a bad PCV hose problem and that thing wouldn't idle at all when cold but once it warmed up it ran fine. It also threw a CEL which came back as lean on both banks. This one is not giving me a CEL. I've got a compression tester, I'll check that while I'm looking at the plugs. I think I also have the special ford fuel filter removal tools left over from when I had my Ranger. I hope they are the same ones this car uses. I'm waiting on my maintenance manual to arrive before I dive into anything too deep mechanically. I also have to replace 2 rear wheel studs, it's going to be a busy weekend.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Good luck with the PCV hose, it's located between the intake manifold and the engine underneath above where the oil filter is. It is the only 3/8 size hose going into the intake.

What does the same thing as the separate DPFE is built into your your EGR valve on the back side of the cylinder head. I, like the other people here, are uncertain that it is the cause of your issues.

First off, you should go through what is considered a "tune-up" as others have recommended. Go through the usual suspects: clean/inspect/replace plugs, coil boots (if more than 80k miles old), check the air cleaner as per the owner's manual if you still have a stock filter, change the fuel filter, check the PCV, clean the TB, and then reset the A/F ratio by disconnecting the battery for 5 mins, then start the engine and allow it to idle without touching the accelerator for a minimum of 5 mins until the idle drops down to 7-800 where it should be.

Then see if you're experiencing the same problem after you fix any problems you come across in the "tune up".

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
I think I also have the special ford fuel filter removal tools left over from when I had my Ranger. I hope they are the same ones this car uses.
The fuel line connectors are quick disconnect (QD) "push down the tab" types. No special tool needed. The plastic clips do not need to be pulled out at all. I have seen others here pull them out half-way and completely out and broken them too. Push-down the tab, with finger/thumb tip has worked for me at the filter and at the fuel rail. First time I did the filter QD tabs, it was a bitch, got easier after a discussion with them.

The filter is mounted with a single/two bolt bracket. Jack-up car at rear passenger tire for easier access to the filter.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Another thought... after (pulling out fuel pump fuse) starving car of fuel pressure; you can disconnect at the fuel rail and catch the fuel SPLASH easy with a towel -and then- go disconnect the filter with less risk of fuel splashing in your face.

Disconnecting at the fuel rail also allows you an easier introduction to how those QD's feel when disconnecting them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good suggestions. Thanx folks, great forum with helpful people.

Saturday is shaping up to be a good day for working on the car. I do feel sorry for all of you stuck up in the North East. Chin up, spring will be here soon and I'll have to start thinking about hurricanes again.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
I find it is easier to push the clip down when you push the line into the filter although that's not in the description of how it's supposed to work, and it might just be in my mind.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The car started running worse today and actually stalled at a stop light. I believe I have found the problem. There is a broken vacuum connector on what I believe is the intake manifold runner control valve. There are 2 of these on top of the intake manifold. They have 2 vacuum hoses and an electrical connection on each one. When checking for vacuum leaks I found one of them had a cracked vacuum fitting. I have temporarily glued it back together and will purchase a new valve in the near future. Thank you everyone for your help.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Great you found it.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Check the descriptions in this thread:http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/general-technical-chat/539922-2004-zx3-p2004-code.html for info. on checking how the two intake manifold actuators should work.

Both actuators retract when started, and extend again at different RPM's.

Vacuum leak for the stall, operating wrong for either of those can reduce performance. (only experienced one not working all the time myself, low power off idle with the IMRC (tumble flaps) not working)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts