Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With a 2003 ZX3 after a heavy period of rain I noticed a collection of over 1 pint of water in the foot well in front of the passenger seat. So am wondering as to where to look to fix this.

Guessing that the leak is under the panel where the heating system air intake is...but not sure.

Anyone have some experience successfully fixing a leak in this area???

·
Registered
16,218 Posts
The pass side cowl cover has a water dam/deflector on the bottom that channels all water from base of windshield away from the HVAC fresh air entrance under it. The channel or the cowling itself has flawed to allow water to get around it. You must make sure the space directly over the HVAC opening is 100% waterproofed.

·
Registered
16,218 Posts
Ford used to put a rubber seal on the cowl edge intended to do the same but they warp so fast in Texas heat they then leak and even when I was looking in the scrapyards for parts I realized Ford later modded the cowl to drop that seal entirely as a cost cutting measure. Meaning they acknowledge it was not meant to actually seal there.

Sealing there can help but the best result is to determine what has happened to the deflection channel under the cover. In my view the cowl upper edge was never intended to fully stop water there, only deflect a major part of it to not overwhelm the lower water channeling.

The actual HVAC entry 'box' there is merely glued down with silicone and held on with a couple nuts, if leaking around the edge that is a problem too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts