Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 03 ford focus 2.0 ,,on cold days will not start at all 35-40 degree or lower ,,I have spark it will turn over ,,my fuel pump is new ,

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,612 Posts
You may want to run by a parts store and have them load test the battery. It may be a little weak.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 03 ford focus 2.0 ,,on cold days will not start at all 35-40 degree or lower ,,I have spark it will turn over ,,my fuel pump is new ,
I had this happen numerous times last winter, what worked (after a 15 minute electronics lecture) was to switch the ignition on BUT do not attempt to start the turn it over - yet...

Wait 5 minutes and the current flowing through the cables will (alledgedly) create a heater coil effect which in turn warms up the cables etc, allowing the engine to turn over. Sometimes 2-3 minutes worked and whatever the rational or reason - it worked!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
battery is new ,,on a warm day ,,it starts fine ,,I put a booster pack on it no change ,,I put carb cleaner directly into intake man it starts up after sec or third try

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Fuel filter, plugs, plug wires, etc. Is everything okay there?

Cold starting is much harder that warm starting.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Have you ever changed the coil? Any weak item tends to show up with colder weather.

BTW: Zetec or SPI engine?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Weak or intermittent spark is often seen on these long before total failure, that's the reason for the question.

If you inspect the coil thoroughly & find any signs of cracking, it's time for a new one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
this morning it was 23 degree ,all I did was took off the intake line after the filter and sensor so not to damage them I sprayed started fluied in intake
,,and after the sec turn it started up ,,

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Sounds like a fuel problem, unfortunately many of the checks require a scan tool to see what's happening.

To address some others first, is it revving up to high idle then slowing down as it warms up?

Can you hear the fuel pump run after turning the key on or when trying to start? How about starting after turning it on & off once or twice before cranking?

For scan tool checks, you'd want to see fuel pressure after key on & when trying to start. Also you'd want to check readings for intake air temp & engine temp to be sure the computer is seeing a cold engine & compensating with extra fuel for that condition.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts