Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Ford focus wagon Se 2.0 zetec that i recently aquired and its developed an issue where it'll start fine when cold, but once ran to temperature, will not restart for around 15 minutes. You turn the key and you can hear fuel pump but does nothing, no turning over. A family friend replaced crank sensor because it was the only thing he could think of, and this fixed the issue for around a week, but the issue has returned. Im thinking it may be an issue with the plug that goes to the sensor, but wondering if anyone else has any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
637 Posts
Yeah, check the harness for the crank sensor and inspect wiring and come back and let us know what you find.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
"No turning over" makes me wonder what's actually happening, starter not cranking the engine over wouldn't be related to the crank sensor.

·
Registered
609 Posts
To me it sounds like a bad cable/connection somewhere. I would start by checking the cables/connectors at the battery, everything thing should be tight, clean and free of corrosion. Then follow those cables to their other ends making sure they are also tight, clean and free of corrosion. Then check all cables/connections at the starter. Getting the battery completely charged and load tested would also be in order. What is the cranking voltage?
I'm thinking the crank sensor is a red herring.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
You have a no crank- no start issue, not a crank - no start issue, so it is not the crank sensor. That logic can be applied to all vehicles. I think your problem is most likely related to the starter or the wiring. It might end up being that you have to replace the starter. Solenoids sometimes exhibit this behavior. If it's not a loose connection at the starter or battery, then it is a bad starter.

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
Exactly to all and where the misuse of thinking and posting come in. OP throws that 'no turning over' part in there and totally tilts the post in possibly the wrong direction. Changing crank sensor if that true does nothing whatever but OP then says it does, so entire stream of post could be faulty now.

'throwing hands up in the air......'

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Yup, that's why my initial question was posed.

Too many times the difference between cranking & firing up/running is lost in translation.

"turning over" SHOULD just mean cranking in this situation, yet it's often used for "running".

The bloody terminology can be used BOTH for cranking & running situations, as in "it's turning over slowly" for either slow cranking or low rpm idle. The English use "tickover" for rpm running, making that clearer.

·
Registered
609 Posts
It working for a week after changing the crank sensor is most likely related to "accidental contact" with the bad connection resulting in a temporary improvement in the connection. As I said a red herring.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Late Response

Sorry for late response to this, had forgotten i'd posted on this. Figured Crank sensor wouldn't be related so gave up on that idea. After some research on here and other places, replaced the ignition relay fuse (Not sure if thats exact name), and seems to have done the job temporarily, but only time will tell. Thanks for the responses

1 - 9 of 9 Posts