Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Any help with any of the problems or all is more then appreciated.

First problem: The hatch likes to keep telling the car that the door is open. Makes all my doors keep trying to re-lock themselves when I am driving. Idk if its a bad lock or what exactly it is. The fob and the push button still work to unlock it. Yesterday the hatch wouldn't close. I had to slam it hard to shut. Update: Fixed wires in hatch, have to wait till I can get my car started and moving to see if I have fixed the problem.

Second problem: IMRC - Went to autozone, got them to scan my car for free. Came up with a code (P1518) (Intake manifold runner control stuck open) It functions. Before I start up the car. The lever sits near the firewall. After I have it started it sat pulled away from the firewall. After that I haven't seen it move no matter the rpms. I have no low end torque and the car slugs to go up hills. The lever isn't broken, and works freely when I move it with my hand. Is it the IMRC that's broken or could it be a short? I also get a clicking noise before I start the car, I don't know if that's related to the IMRC, but I hear it sometimes. Update: Did the repair on the IMRC, have to wait till I can get my car started and moving to see if I have fixed the problem.

Third problem: Front blinkers. The front blinkers don't work. The rear ones do. The Day time running lights do work. Its just when I turn on my blinkers the lights don't do anything. Its just the fast blinking pace like if you have a bad light bulb. The hazards are the same way. No blinking on the front. Both bulbs are good. as obviously they both light up to me turning on the light switch. Just I have no clue why they wouldn't work if the regular lights do work. I did check one fuse, but I don't know what fuses to check exactly. But I don't think this could be a fuse problem. Sounds like a wiring problem. I just have no clue. Update: NO IDEA

Edit addition to blinkers: I had a guy check to see if power was being sent to the blinkers to make them flash, and no power was making it to the connector. That was with the hazards flashing.

Please and thank you to who ever can help me with these problems. Even if you cant, thanks for trying.

Edit: Here are some pics of the problems.

Fourth Problem:
Hatch wires Fixed

Fifth Problem:
Disconnected piece, I don't know what it is or where it goes. Only know where it connects to.

^Around the area of the dsi lever

Sixth Problem:
Now this is how my headlights are spliced

Seventh Problem:
Next 3 pics are of the two wires that ran accross the headers. One of them was cut in half the other one was just holding in there. Looks like they run to something that involves my coolant?

Eighth Problem:
So I just noticed when I pulled the center console out. That one of the connectors to the airbag controls has been cut? What would this cause. btw the other connector was just laying in there

Ninth Problem:
The day I started working on the car, I took apart the hatch to see about the wires that run between the hatch and the body. They were all cracked and destroyed so I fixed them. My next step was to go fiddle with my IMRC. I removed my air intake, MAF sensor, battery, and battery tray. I then removed the IMRC. I took the IMRC apart to fix it. I didn't fully take it apart instead I bent the board out a little. Sprayed some electrical cleaner on it. Got a small piece of a nail filer so I could get the contacts, was quite easy the way I did it. But I then used a hair dryer on it. I installed it, I put everything back. I also removed my front blinkers and messed around with my headlights to see why the blinkers were not working. No solution. I went to start my car. And It would not start. I was puzzled. So the problem is after messing with all that stuff, the car wont start. Not even a click of sound. Nothing. Just the lights on the dash and everything else working.

The car doesn't have fog lights but the wires for it have the connectors and they dangle inside the front bumper. Also the two side bumper lights do work correctly, but then again, they do dangle just like the fog light connectors do.

Picture of the car as it sits right now. Has a 2010 Front bumper on it. Modded.

Please I really need help trying to fix this problem. If its fuses or relays, please tell me which ones and where to go for them.

Update:

Before I started working on the car. It did run, had a slow chugging starting problem. The IMRC was bad which caused me to have no acceleration. The car never liked to start up right away, instead it gradually gained rpms slowly. It had a leaky valve cover gasket. So the car DID in FACT RUN. I had the blinker problem also.

The day I started working on the car, I took apart the hatch to see about the wires that run between the hatch and the body. They were all cracked and destroyed so I fixed them. My next step was to go fiddle with my IMRC. I removed my air intake, MAF sensor, battery, and battery tray. I then removed the IMRC. I took the IMRC apart to fix it. I didn't fully take it apart instead I bent the board out a little. Sprayed some electrical cleaner on it. Got a small piece of a nail filer so I could get the contacts, was quite easy the way I did it. But I then used a hair dryer on it. I installed it, I put everything back. I also removed my front blinkers and messed around with my headlights to see why the blinkers were not working. No solution. I went to start my car. And It would not start. I was puzzled.

After fixing the hatch wires, I can not say it has fixed any problems because the problem I did have is when I'm driving the car would hit bumps and throw up the ajar light.

I still have the blinker problem, nothing has fixed it yet.

I have all the problems except for I cant fix or see if I have fixed anything cause since what ever happened has now made my car DITW.

·
Registered
739 Posts
As far as the hatch goes I'm quite certain it's probably due to your wires in the hatch shorting out as that's a common problem with the hatchback Foci. See if you can pull back the rubber boot on the wires going from the body to the hatch and see if you can find any fraying on the wires. You may need to wrap some electrical tape around some of them to fix that issue.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As far as the hatch goes I'm quite certain it's probably due to your wires in the hatch shorting out as that's a common problem with the hatchback Foci. See if you can pull back the rubber boot on the wires going from the body to the hatch and see if you can find any fraying on the wires. You may need to wrap some electrical tape around some of them to fix that issue.
I was gonna check that but got too dark and the rain started coming down. The rear windshield wiper words, the 3rd break light works its just the latch. So I will check that tomorrow. Thank you!

Also, while Im driving when I hit bumps the light on the dash telling you a door is open, flickers, goes out, sometimes just stays on.

·
Super Moderator
9,557 Posts
Since you have your SVT specific part taken care of. I have moved this thread to the "General Technical Chat" section to help you with your other situations.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since you have your SVT specific part taken care of. I have moved this thread to the "General Technical Chat" section to help you with your other situations.
Thank you very much don. Maybe tomorrow when everyone wakes i can get more answers. Cant really drive anywhere when i dont have functioning blinkers. But i do thank you for moving this. Cause i know there are focus guru's out there with ideas.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Huh? You gotta repair or tape-up all those exposed hatch wires first. Have you done that?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Huh? You gotta repair or tape-up all those exposed hatch wires first. Have you done that?
Yes it now has been fixed. But I havent been able to start my car now since I messed with the IMRC, fixed these wires, and messed with my blinker wires and stuff. But either way, No improvement. I think I ran my focus a little low on battery power? It doesnt even click when trying to start it. Like its pooped. Idk, its just a head ache after another with this thing.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Yes it now has been fixed. But I havent been able to start my car now since I messed with the IMRC, fixed these wires, and messed with my blinker wires and stuff. But either way, No improvement. I think I ran my focus a little low on battery power? It doesnt even click when trying to start it. Like its pooped. Idk, its just a head ache after another with this thing.
Do you have a multimeter that you can use to check the voltage of the battery with?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do you have a multimeter that you can use to check the voltage of the battery with?
When I was checking the voltage to my front blinkers and headlights it was like 11.5v and I think one of them I think my right head light was like 11.9v but Ill go outside right now and check quick, it reads 12.33v

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't know what I could of seriously tampered with that would make my car not start. Could the IMRC make my car not start? Could me messing with the hatch wires make my car not start? I removed the air box, battery, battery tray. I didnt change anything else. Other then pulling a few fuses under my dash. I didn't pull the right one. But either way I dont know why I fuse would do that. I thought it was my transponder chip. Cause this key looked like a valet key honestly. But I cracker her open and the transponder is there. And I know you need it. I just didn't know if they put it in the dash or something. And it fell so I wanted to x that off my list. Did I short something? I take the positive off the battery last. Car was just running before I did all this.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
its just a head ache after another with this thing.
Yes, with all those wiring issues as a first hurdle, you are supposed to have more than one headache. Normal with a car that was not well maintained. Patience, determination and a good attitude on getting it right will go far.

Those older SVT IMRC control boxes are a unique beast and nothing like the newer IMRC systems on my or most Duratecs. Repairs of the guts inside that box have been done. There are threads somewhere here at FF about it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, with all those wiring issues as a first hurdle, you are supposed to have more than one headache. Normal with a car that was not well maintained. Patience, determination and a good attitude on getting it right will go far.

Those older SVT IMRC control boxes are a unique beast and nothing like the newer IMRC systems on my or most Duratecs. Repairs of the guts inside that box have been done. There are threads somewhere here at FF about it.
I'm trying my best to fix this thing, I love working on my car. That's why im here asking everyone else what to do and how to handle it. Because yes I have done rewiring on the front lights as I owned a zx3 previously. But none of the wiring running to the blinkers look to be tampered with. I cant tell if the hatch is fixed by fixing the wires cause I cant even move the car. And I did the IMRC repair. As a temorary thing. But I cant see if that is fixed either cause the car wont even start. Can the IMRC send a signal to the car to not start?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

The guy before me did the bumper mod. It doesn't line up very good as if you look as a 2010 bumper vs a svt/zx3 bumper they are a little off. But it blends in alright. BUT I also wanted to state. The fog lights dont have power running to them. I checked with a multimeter. Unless Im a retard. Im almost positive. There is no power running to them. Unless because it has no bulbs in the sockets. Its so badly corroded. Idk what to do. I dont have the parts to check these things.

·
Registered
739 Posts
When I was checking the voltage to my front blinkers and headlights it was like 11.5v and I think one of them I think my right head light was like 11.9v but Ill go outside right now and check quick, it reads 12.33v
Can you get someone to try and start the car while you watch the voltage? What does is drop down to when someone tries to start it? This way we can at least rule out whether or not the battery is dead at this point.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Can you get someone to try and start the car while you watch the voltage? What does is drop down to when someone tries to start it? This way we can at least rule out whether or not the battery is dead at this point.
The problem is, the car doesn't even turn over. I stick in the key. And nothing. Its like if you stick a key in your ignition that doesn't have a transponder. It only turns the car into the on position. But wont do anything else for the car.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts