Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 Ford Focus SVT Build Thread

Hello FF ! I got this car while craigslist hunting for roughly two weeks & I found this baby . I originally owned a 2004 Ford Focus SE auto . It has always been my dream to own an SVT once I learned about the Focus in general . When I tell you I had no idea how amazing a regular Focus can handle, I had the same expectations for other economy cars . Boy was I wrong . Lol

Paid $1200 for the car with a messed up motor . As ridiculous as that may sound, this car was in wonderful shape besides that . The previous owner sure did love the car I could tell , even with the messed up engine . The car hauled ass, especially after VCT kicked in . MSD ignition, cfm UDP & water pump pulley (lighter=more hp), k&n short ram intake, oem motor mounts all around, sub woofer, DVD player, heated seats, traction control, new battery, Black EAP rally wheels, the list goes on with the maintenance done on this car . However, cylinder 4 lost compression & the previous owner decided he can't keep putting more into the car

Don't have many pictures . One picture I do have is the night I brought her home

As I was car searching before, I began to go engine looking & try to do a swap . That did not go according to plan . Lol the prices I've seen for high mileage SVTF motors were astonishing as I'm pretty sure people would know . Due to such ridiculousness, I decided to rebuild my motor . I was guided in the right direction from a family member even though he's more into Hondas . His father has a shop in New York that handles many engine & transmission projects . The prices for labor aren't rape either . I drove the car an hour from CT to NY & it made the trip somehow ! Sure shows the reliability of these cars . It can take a beating . Got to the shop & I spoke with some people . I told them I plan to have the car for at least 5 years . After saying that & agreeing to rebuild the motor, they recommended to me a zero mileage motor restoration . I liked the idea & I'm going ahead with it . The same family member has a connection that will help me get Ford parts at an affordable price . I dropped it off & found a way back home . In case your wondering why I'm not doing the work myself, I don't have any space to work with

I found a messed up SVT engine for $150 . I still very much like the zero mileage motor idea so I'm going to take the motor & do it little by little into a high horsepower car by first upgrading the internals & then turbo later on down the line . I do realize I will not make that horsepower going all motor . I've done my research & learned that the money you put into having 170whp all motor (200bhp) is pointless when that same money could've gave me 300+whp going turbo . Overall, I'm going to fix this motor so I can start to enjoy the car instead of doing a heavy rebuild & out of a car for weeks . I'm also looking for a silver driver side door for the 5 door . Is it true that you can use a sedan door for 5-door hatches ? Also any silver SVT front bumpers out there ? I'm very much interested

Called the mechanic to update him on my new change in plans & he informed me he was taking the engine apart & found 3 valves messed up . This job will be way easier then going into the block . That has me feeling a lot better . Will also have him change the oil pump, fuel pump, fuel filter, timing belt & water pump assembly to give it renewed life & won't worry bout a thing . Which is hands down the best shifter to get for the SVT ? Any aluminum shifter bushings available ? This job I want to do myself so I feel involved with the rebuild of the car . I will also get involved with other things the best I can, granted space isn't an issue repairing/improving a part

Just signed up today so idk how to post any pictures . Help me out ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'm on the internet on my phone & don't know how to make it work . Is there an app that will make posting pics easier ? I have no idea how & thank you for that contact . Very much appreciated

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also came to find out that there was one bent valve spring in cylinder 4 . I'm going to replace all springs & retainers with OEM parts as well . They have been ordered . Since some parts were discontinued, it's undergoing special order so for now I'm playing the waiting game . Also ordered the aluminum shifter bushings from NERP . Thanks again for letting me in on NERP . I'm now contemplating if I should start looking at shifters or start to slowly but surely start to get parts for a turbo ...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts