Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had both of my headlights go out at the same time? All other lights work but the headlights. We have checked the bulbs and all fuses...Is there anything else that we can check? Any other direction to go in?
Thanks Sylvia

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Did you check for power at the fuses?

There are relays, wouldn't expect both at once.

Grounds could be an issue, but not both at once. Would have to be not noticed until second gave up.

Headlight switch is a possibility.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where is the headlight switch? And how where would I look for the ground wires?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Headlight switch is on the left side of the dashboard, kinda lost me with that question!

Grounds for the front lights are behind them (toward back of the car) with wires running from harness to circular wire ends bolted to the frame rails. Kinda under the coolant reservoir on that side & further to the front than the ones that ground from the battery to body on the drivers side. Should see a couple wires going to each one.

Do you have a way to test for power?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry I knew that just thought it was some type of relay or something lol
No I dont have a way to test with power unless you have a suggestion or will Auto Zone or some place like that do it?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Sorry, but without a multimeter (volt/ohm meter) and a test light you really can't check anything electrical.

Cheapest tools that will do the job might only be $15-$25. Harbor Freight even gives away meters as promotional items on occasion, and a test light can be had for $5.

Electricity is invisible, and even connections that LOOK good might be corroded where you can't see & test bad with a meter.

Plug in fuses have small holes at the top where a meter can check for voltage on each side. With one that's not currently carrying power the ohm meter function can test for continuity so you know it WILL carry power when needed. (blown can be obvious, broken can be invisible)

Like cans without labels, you don't know what's inside without a way to check.

The real kicker is that if simple tests & substitution of known good parts doesn't tell the tale, a wiring diagram is necessary to figure out the system & trace it for faults.

We've got a couple members with access to such that can often answer specific questions. It takes a while to get that kind of help step by step.

On line tutorials are mentioned here at times on how to use the tools mentioned. We can give some basic pointers on use if the tools are at hand for practical demonstration so you know how they work.

With a meter & test light, checking at the bulb connectors for power/ground can answer whether those circuits are OK or not in a couple minutes. Can't guess without them.

Wish I had better news, guessing & buying parts (even junk yard) can get expensive. Toss in a light switch could fix it, or it might not until a fuse that looked good is replaced. Proverbial crapshoot.

Luck

·
Registered
17,167 Posts
Invalid link............and as he says, if high beam still works then low relay, if both low and high dead then headlight switch.

·
Registered
17,167 Posts
Still getting invalid link message............

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
The link works now, hope I didn't scare her off completely.

Bloody tools are cheap for the most basic, my raffle prize asst. from Focus Fest included one of Harbor Freight's cheap or "gift" level multimeters.

Just didn't want them to spend on a new headlight switch just to find a bad fuse later.

·
Registered
17,167 Posts
Now it works.......

Wow, I would definitely be cussing the maker of those schematics, they call out the page of continuance but where are the page numbers on the page itself to relate to that? Also, leads are called out but what they go to is not identified, the four ABCD on last schematic that go to eight others with no callout at all so now you must further read to detail harness color codes. Making the ABCD absolutely worthless information. This is what you get when McDonald's workers get out further into the world to do damage. I can easily read it but others will have hell. Lucky the poster put them in order...........

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi ….I too have a similar problem.
The high beams work, the low beams do not. I assume the headlight switch works else the high beams would not work if the headlight switch did not work. I also assume that that it is not the bulbs, a relay or fuse because when I jiggle the turn signal switch on the steering column, the low beams come on for a few seconds and then fade out and off. When I use the turn signal arm to turn the high beams on, the high beams do turn on. It sometimes takes a couple of tries.

I think perhaps it may be the switch on the steering column. I did not think last night to check the rear lights, turn signals..duh. I was lucky to make it to the service station last night. I just happened to be on the way to drop my FF off for new brakes. If/when the mechanic fixes it, I'll post the fix. Else I may be asking for help (again!)

·
Registered
10 Posts
My mechanic traced the problem to the switch on the steering column...changed it out. All fixed. No problems now.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Tx. for posting your resolution.

Getting low beams intermittently when jiggling the high/low switch was a pretty good clue.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts