Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 2003 Ford Focus and about 2 months ago I was going to the store but before I could drive off my headlights would not come on? The parking lights work, break lights work, dash lights work just no headlights. So we started with the bulbs, it was not that. Then we checked fuses, it was not that either. Now in the mean time that we are trying these things, they start working when they want to....its crazy. Sometimes they come on and sometimes they dont? We are thinking it has to be electrical? Any thoughts or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Might be bad/intermittent electrical ground point for the headlights. Check left and right wheel well inside the engine bay for wire terminal lugs that attach to the frame. Disconnect, inspect, clean and reconnect each terminal lug.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok great I will have my husband try this and see what happens. Just another note this morning on the way to work, they were on when I left the house and off when I got to work also the bright lights work all the time.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
There are relays for both high and low beams. Try swapping them with each other and see if that transfers the problem.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK I will have him try that this weekend Thanks for all your help. I will post outcome

·
Registered
17,165 Posts
Relay as stated. Grounds would affect the headlights individually, if both not working you need to be working in power section common to both.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So here's the update. We checked both relays switches (in the box by the battery with fuses as well) and they were both ok the high and low beams. Plus we went to an auto parts store just to be safe and let them look at them too and they were good. So the next thing would be following the battery cables to the bolt in the wheel well. But the parts person did say if it was that it would affect other electrical things so idk. Also does it make a difference that they work sometimes and sometimes they don't but the high beam work all the time?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So we installed a new switch and nothing. All of the Orange side lights and lower lights in the front work and the high b and work but the regular old headlights do not? Any other suggestions! Thanks

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Are you sure you tested the low beam relay K36? And there are two fuses for low beams; F16 and F17. If all that is OK, I would suspect a wire defect directly underneath relay K36 at pin-5; this is where the two low beam lights get the power, the wires are twisted/spliced together.

You can perform a "jumper test"; pulling out K36 and use a jumper wire between pins 3 and 5. This jumper would mimic the proper operation of K36. Be careful, voltage is always present at pin-3

·
Registered
17,165 Posts
'Looking' at relays to tell if they are good, that's pretty funny.............you physically must test them and when doing it, it will become clear where next section of the problem lies. You must have power at the pin into relay and then the device not powering up with a known clicking relay will have a problem AFTER the relay.

The last connector at headlight itself is commonly a problem.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you guys for the input we have a lot to check on this weekend. I will post when we get this problem figured out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts