Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2003 ford focus 2.3 pzev couple months ago noticed it started to run rough once it's warm and starts to miss but when driving works fine. Also upon cold start up revs real high then back to normal. I've changed the spark plugs but problem still present. Any idea what could be issue any ideas would be helpful thanks

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Moved to MK1 Focus for better answers related to MK1 idle issues.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
"run rough once it's warm and starts to miss"

Hi. Please add more descriptions of what you hear and feel. Take the car to a car parts store and ask them to scan your car for OBD codes, it is free.

What type of spark plugs did you install & what gap was set?
Sometimes the rubber boot on each spark plug will deteriorate and can cause misfires; the water seal (on two of mine) was broken, so I replaced all 4. They are about $8 each.

New to you & old car needs to have the fuel filter replaced.
How many miles on your car?

I also have a 2.3 PZEV and when starting cold engine it revs high for awhile and comes down to 850-900 rpm after about 1 minute. Normal ops.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I scanned it and 2 codes came up which are p0316 misfire detected 1st 1000 rpms and po302 cylinder 2 misfire

there are about 116000miles on car

I changed the spark plugs with the ones that were recommended for the car I believe they are Iradium tipped and press gapped and have replaced them twice

I also replaced the 2 small vacuum hoses that run to the 2 little silonids on the top of the engine

I also took apart the throttle body and cleaned it with the cleaner and brush as well as the little valve connected to the side of it I believe the iacv

I have not replaced the fuel filter yet

The car seems to idle fine after the high Rev once started cold but when it gets to normal operating Temp in drive and reverse the car starts vibrating a lot and sounds like it's running faster than its supposed to be with an occasional miss it even gets worse and misses more if ac/heater is running.in park and neutral car seems to idle normal with a very slight feel of a miss

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Those spark plugs might be OK, I do not know. I use what many others here use, Autolite A103 Copper with gaps set to .055
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=251453

Good news, that you got those codes, it helps you find the problem. Also, it is highly likely you have old & bad motor mounts. If mounts are original, your time is up, and you will have to replace them. If and when you get the mounts replaced, your going to freak out; it will feel like a new and different car.

Bad news, the 3 new motor mounts are about $200, if bought at select online stores or from vendors here at FF. Please only buy Ford branded mounts. You can buy cheap gas, cheap tires and cheap wine, but please buy the Ford branded mounts. If you buy these mounts at your local Ford dealership, the cost will likely be MUCH higher. Replacing them yourself is not too hard.

Above each spark plug is a coil (coil on plug) aka COP. Take the #2 COP + #2 rubber boot & spring + #2 spark plug and move them to a different spot. If that coil, boot or plug is bad, you will get a new code (DTC) such as P0304 cylinder 4 misfire. The new code might take 2 minutes or 2 days to show up. After you do the COP Swap, use a scan tool to clear the old P0301 and P0316 codes and wait to see what happens next. Scan tool is the best way to clear the codes, but you could also disconnect your car battery for 10 minutes and this will also clear those codes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I replaced the motor mount at a year ago bought the one under resivoire and dog bone one only after market and the one for the transmission at auto zone.

Should I replace them again and if so what causes them to go bad so quick.

Would bad shocks/struts cause any of the issues I'm having.

I have ngk brand plugs will check style when I pull them out as well as the gap

as for the cop is the pack boot and spring one piece and does the count go 1234 passage side of engine to drivers or other way around

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
USA cylinder count is passenger side to driver's side, or "front" to "back" ends of the engine (Timing/aux. drive end to transmission end).

Shocks/struts have nothing to do with engine issues, vibrations that DON'T have any relationship to engine speed are a separate problem and can include suspension/wheels/tires.

Can't tell from your post if the passenger side mount was a Ford one, that's the one where aftermarket mounts often DON'T solve a vibration problem or it comes back fast.

Boot/contact springs that attach the coil to the plug are avail. as a set(sold as one piece), you remove the boot by peeling it off (bend & twist) and the spring remains to be removed by easy twisting until it comes off (spring over tab at the coil).

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Should I replace them again and if so what causes them to go bad so quick.
Sailor answered all your questions, but I wanted to echo what he said about aftermarket engine mounts... and to share my experience with them.

Yes. You should replace them again. Just like I did.

The reason I found and joined FF is because I was searching for info on how to replace the mounts myself. I had just found this local car part wholesale place that was selling parts at much better prices than anywhere else and I also found an Anchor dogbone on Amazon for less than $10. Awesome and crazy price huh?

I saw a few warnings here at FF to stay away from cheap mounts, but too late for me, money was tight, my cheap mounts should be fine, right? Wrong. The car felt better but got worse each day after installing the cheap mounts. A couple months later, I replaced the passenger side mount (PSM) with a Ford branded mount and it was much better. A couple months after that I replaced the other 2 mounts with Ford branded mounts and the car felt great... it was so much better.

There are several stories here at FF just like mine. I was not the first dummy and I will not be the last. History must repeat itself despite our lessons learned. Buy the Ford branded mounts... or "save" some money and buy the cheap mounts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah mounts are all after market 2 from eBay trans mount from auto zone should I replace all 3 with ford brand mounts and would bad shocks cause them to wear out quicker?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks glad I can change them one at a time which one would would be recommended to change first. When I replaced the originals the mount on the passenger side the rubber was completely detached from the aluminum just wondering how long they last

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Which mount would be best to change first since i half to do them 1 by 1 cause of price and how long do the Ford ones usually last

·
Registered
753 Posts
2.3 with a high idle and misfire codes (and no bad plugs or coils) is usually caused by a cracked PCV vacuum hose. I have encountered this dozens of times. The intake has to come off to replace it,unfortunately. It is located just above the starter motor,in between the intake and the block.

This Ebay auction is selling the correct hose. #6758 in the diagram. http://www.ebay.com/itm/4L8Z6A664BA...Parts_Accessories&hash=item51b356027d&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Which mount would be best to change first since i half to do them 1 by 1 cause of price and how long do the Ford ones usually last
It is best to replace all 3 mounts at one time. Which one you do first is your call. The Ford mounts usually last 8.237 years. jk.

2.3 with a high idle and misfire codes (and no bad plugs or coils) is usually caused by a cracked PCV vacuum hose. I have encountered this dozens of times. The intake has to come off to replace it,unfortunately. It is located just above the starter motor,in between the intake and the block.

This Ebay auction is selling the correct hose. #6758 in the diagram. http://www.ebay.com/itm/4L8Z6A664BA...Parts_Accessories&hash=item51b356027d&vxp=mtr
Yes Sir. The PCV hose on my 2004 was cracked when I got the car 2 years ago. Anyone with a 2003 - 2006(?) Duratec needs to replace the PCV hose. I paid about $40 for mine (local dealership price). Your link is an OK price, about $32 after adding cost of shipping.

I did not know that a bad PCV hose (vac leak) causes misfires. Hmmmm? -maybe.

PCV hose R & R info is here->
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=212938

1 - 15 of 15 Posts