Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this car about a month ago. Had a power steering leak and a coolant leak. Power steering leak stopped by its self with the thanks of fluid with stop leak in it. I changed the thermostat housing as that's where the leak was coming from. That stopped the leak. After sittings still for about 10-15 minutes the car will start to overheat. But once I get going it cools its self down. New water pump to any ideas?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You replaced the housing, but did you replace the thermostat?

Where was the coolant leak? Are you sure you topped off on coolant? Did you use a 50/50 mix?

Does your fan kick on at all? Check your fuses

Well when I replaced the thermostat housing there wasn't even a thermostat in it lol so the new one does have one in it. The leak was in between the block and the housing. I did top off with coolant and 50/50 blend fans kick on and all fuses are good. I'm lost lol

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Is the stat backwards?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldn't think so just for the fact of its not instantaneous. I holds the right temp for about 15 mins and then starts to over heat. The thermostat was already seated in it from the parts store. Think it could be a high temperature thermostat?

·
Registered
620 Posts
Are the fans operating correctly? When the temp starts to rise have you tried turning on the a/c? This will force the fan on. You could have a problem with your resister pack.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Any milky residue on the backside of the oil cap?

·
Registered
455 Posts
there has to be a reason why there was not a thermostat in it to begin with I take it that it didn't overheat until you changed the housing?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree. Their has to be some sort of explanation. But I have no idea. It didn't over heat when the thermostat was out. But I also had not heat either lol

·
Registered
455 Posts
I would do as others have stated check the fans and oil cap and let us know

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok guys I checked the oil cap and it wasn't milky...the only thing on the bottom of the cap was oil. I went to Walmart and sat in the parking lot until it started to overheat. Turned the a/c on blast which the wife almost killed me for lol and it started cooling itself. So I'm guessing when it's high temperatures the fan won't kick on. But when it's cool the fan does kick on I've heard it do it bedore. What causes that?

·
Registered
293 Posts
you need a new radiator 100% if you get the car to opperating temp then feel around the whole radiator the fins and all that you would find cold spots in your radiator. that means its plugged partly thus not coolong the system the right way. check it for hot and cold spots with ur bare hand when car is off but at opperating temp.

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
Ok guys I checked the oil cap and it wasn't milky...the only thing on the bottom of the cap was oil. I went to Walmart and sat in the parking lot until it started to overheat. Turned the a/c on blast which the wife almost killed me for lol and it started cooling itself. So I'm guessing when it's high temperatures the fan won't kick on. But when it's cool the fan does kick on I've heard it do it bedore. What causes that?

The fan should kick on as soon as your engine starts to exceed normal operating temperatures. If it's not kicking on, then you have some sort of electrical issue. It could be a bad sensor, bad wiring, etc.

This could also explain why the previous owner removed the thermostat. If the fan isnt kicking on, maybe he thought just to have the coolant circulating at all times to be safe.

you need a new radiator 100% if you get the car to opperating temp then feel around the whole radiator the fins and all that you would find cold spots in your radiator. that means its plugged partly thus not coolong the system the right way. check it for hot and cold spots with ur bare hand when car is off but at opperating temp.
I'm not 100% that it's his radiator. Dont be so quick to jump to conclusions.

·
Registered
2003 ZX3
93 Posts
The fan should kick on as soon as your engine starts to exceed normal operating temperatures. If it's not kicking on, then you have some sort of electrical issue. It could be a bad sensor, bad wiring, etc.

This could also explain why the previous owner removed the thermostat. If the fan isnt kicking on, maybe he thought just to have the coolant circulating at all times to be safe.

Great post, I agree! Not good to jump to conclusions quick, and I would not lean toward radiator anyway. I know things are slightly different in the SVT, but there are TOOOOOONS of threads on here about this very issue! I had the same issue and I learned a lot by searching.

Possible issues I found from my search,
  • Fan low speed resistor on the fan shrowed (on non SVT anyway)
  • Bad CTS which is a head temp sensor that is used in place of a coolant temp sensor. There is a thread on here somewhere that explains how to test it.
  • There are also articles on a "quick fix" which is just bypassing them process and just putting the fans on a manual switch inside the car that you control and can kick on. This should probably be a last resort. (my thought anyway)

Best of luck. This site is a VERY useful tool!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Great post, I agree! Not good to jump to conclusions quick, and I would not lean toward radiator anyway. I know things are slightly different in the SVT, but there are TOOOOOONS of threads on here about this very issue! I had the same issue and I learned a lot by searching.

Possible issues I found from my search,
  • Fan low speed resistor on the fan shrowed (on non SVT anyway)
  • Bad CTS which is a head temp sensor that is used in place of a coolant temp sensor. There is a thread on here somewhere that explains how to test it.
  • There are also articles on a "quick fix" which is just bypassing them process and just putting the fans on a manual switch inside the car that you control and can kick on. This should probably be a last resort. (my thought anyway)

Best of luck. This site is a VERY useful tool!

Thanks so much for all of your input! :smiley: is their any way you could post a link to both of the threads? Sorry I'm new and don't quite know my way around the threads yet thanks in advance!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts