Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought rebuilt motor off some guy on here..700 miles later loud knocking coming from motor and boom... Oil everywhere... Believe it is a hole in bottom end.. What are my options?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
How recently did you buy the engine?

Any warning noises - tapping, knocking?

Oil pressure check before starting?

Failure without warning, and no tear down or look over to attempt to see what broke & why - can't say there was anything wrong the seller should have known about.

Engines can break or be broken, sometimes without being able to determine the cause.

If you contact the seller, they MIGHT be able to do a partial good will refund. Wouldn't expect that from the little info. given so far, not much to go on.

I'd guess it was sold as is, since you don't mention otherwise. Price might affect how the seller feels about it, if they only covered their out of pocket expenses you basically bought just the parts.

Don't know what else to say from the info. given.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Motor was knocking before it axtually blew a hole and oil sprayed everywhere.. A buddy of mine just took a quick look and says he thinks it is a bottom end issue and that the top end lioks good

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
That's not good, shut down when knocking becomes apparent & a fix can be cheap.

Had to have it done years ago on an engine I'd had rebuilt. 1,100 mi. round trip, and it started knocking about 250 from home. New rod bearings right there (in frame job) and it lasted 'till long after I sold it. Shop that had done it gave me a replacement crank & bearings set I gave to the next owner. (No time to do it or $ to have it done at the time)

Zetec or SVT bottom end could be the basis for a rebuild, SVT heads take more of a beating from timing belt problems so they're harder to find good. Once you hole a block, the bottom is pretty much trash.

I had proof of a goof when my old Jeep went in similar circumstances, shop installed & tested it & the Dealer who repaired noted rod caps on the wrong rods (numbered).

This one - sounds like you did the install, IDK whether it was spun to get oil pressure before putting in the plugs & firing it up. Some help towards getting the bearings checked/done when it was knocking would have been good, split responsibility without proof either way for goodwill.

Can't really expect any more than the equivalent of that at the best IMHO at this point, bleeps that it's broken but I don't want to raise hopes that are unrealistic.

Depends on the Seller's good graces & what your deal with the Seller was to begin with as to any possible help. Again, I don't know the deal made or the price paid to even guess at that.

Luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts