Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 03 focus is nearing 140,000 mi & all stock with one belt change around 80,000.
I’m thinking it will need a clutch very soon & shocks & struts.
The suspension on this car squeaks very bad.
Any input ?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Well I love my set up, I will always recommend it.

Spec Stage 2 Clutch kit with 12 lb Al flywheel. Grabs like hell, engine revs much more freely (stock flywheel is 24.5 lbs). One down side is clutch pedal effort, I prefer mine being heavy, but some people don't like the clutch pedal feeling "stiffer" or being harder to press.

For suspension, if you want to go aftermarket theres lots of options. Though personally I found Ford Racing stock SVT suspension kit to be the best deal. I got all new springs, and damper all around for $285. There are a couple different kits depending on if you want just dampers/struts or the whole package. I bought one where the front Macpherson's came pre-assembled with shock mounts.

I also went with a full Prothane bushing kit. I LOVE it, but be warned it's a serious undertaking. I pulled every single suspension arm off my car, got a hydraulic press to press all the bushings out, and then sanded and repainted all the arms prior to installing new poly bushings.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hey Mike,
see you found this forum too. Lots of great info on the focus's here. I researched here for a while before buying my SVTF. GL with the suspension setup. Oh, mine queaks from time to time in the rear when it's damp out. I need to get it up on ramps and chase it down.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As far as the clutch goes I want soemthing close to stock because the wife drives this more than I do.
Have a link to the suspension?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Go with the LUK clutch replacement setup that can be found on Ebay for around $400 or so. I'm pretty sure it's the OEM setup so it will feel like stock (duh!) and will be plenty unless you go turbo. If you are doing the suspension yourself, go with the Ford Racing option above but get poly on all the swaybar bushings. You will also want new front strut mounts and bearings which is why the asembled kit mentioned above is so great. And, don't forget the new front swaybar endlinks as well...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Get new mounting hardware for the back as well. Mine is A LOT worse than I expected. And unless you are a masochist, forget the poly bushings on the front sway bar. I've been taking care of my cars for 25 years and that might be the hardest thing I've done on a car yet!! I changed out BOTH my front strut/spring assemblies much faster than I changed out those two damn bushings!!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Get new mounting hardware for the back as well. Mine is A LOT worse than I expected. And unless you are a masochist, forget the poly bushings on the front sway bar. I've been taking care of my cars for 25 years and that might be the hardest thing I've done on a car yet!! I changed out BOTH my front strut/spring assemblies much faster than I changed out those two damn bushings!!
Actually when I was doing my full prothane bushings kit I was dreading those 2 front sway bar bushings from the hassle of removing the subframe. All the instructions I was reading were for a sway bar install.

The nit hit me that I wasn't installing a sway bar. I just disconnected everything, popped off the stock bushing bolts and slide the sway bar to either side to get the new poly bushings on. If you are just doing bushings there's enough space to get it over to each side to put the new bushings on without touching the subframe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts