Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Ford focus zx3 with soft brake pedal. It almost goes all the way to the floor before you come to a stop it will not lock up the brakes. I am a shade tree mechanic I’ve been working on cars for 30+ years for friends and family. This is the first time I’ve come across one that has actually stumped me I cannot fix.
Here’s what I’ve done so far two new front brake calipers new master cylinder I have bled the brakes probably 12 times over a quart of brake fluid bled through. New brake pads and yes the wire clips are on correctly. And after all this work still soft brake pedal. It has rear drums and no ABS what am I overlooking?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Are you sure you got all the air out of the master cylinder? I've heard that can be kind of a pain. Other than that did you bleed the brakes in the right order? Starting with rear right, rear left, front right, front left

·
Registered
39 Posts
I wish ratskinner followed through with what he found out... I have a 2002 with a similiar problem but will start a new post...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Two things I've encountered on my '03 SVT: consistently soft pedal feel...replaced rubber lines with Russell stainless steel lines, bled brakes correctly...no more issue. Secondly, I did notice that the clutch slave cylinder does have a slow leak, and it feeds off fluid from the brake master cylinder, so keep an eye on that too. I'm swapping mine out with the car's first clutch change/limited slip diff install, which is coming up soonish, but I did notice my master cylinder was getting low and topped it off in the meantime.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts