Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been reading through these posts for a while now and have been throwing money into a 2003 focus 2.3 SE atx with 183,000 miles. Hard starts, has an occasional miss feel while driving. And in the morning when it's cold, it revs high before changing gears from 1st to second. While cruising at around 40mph it feels like it has a miss at times. Also, feels like a lack of power in the first couple gears. I've changed the starter, alternator, battery, coils, spark plugs with plain copper plugs, fuel pump, fuel filter, recharged the air filter, cleaned the butterfly, and purged the transmission fluid while also changing the filter. Pretty dang confused. [idea]

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
So you've thrown about $1,500 at a car that's worth maybe $3,000?

Do you think maybe that the (supposed) high costs of a professional mechanic may be worth it at this point?
If not, you're more than welcome to keep wasting money. I know the auto parts profession will support that.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Put a $15 code reader on it to see what codes its throwing.
(Or, swing into your local AutoZone or something. A lot of them will have a cheapo they'll check you with)

·
Registered
278 Posts
I've been there. I owned an 02 SE ATX and that trans sucked. I even went so far as to take it to the dealership (shudder) and they REBUILT it. Still no luck, still did that first gear to second gear high rev in the morning. This was all back in 2005 when the car was 3 years old. Add time and 110000 miles on top of what I went through, you've got a pretty volatile mix.

Based on my life experiences, I'd say you're at a crossroads. You either have to commit full-bore head-on and replace that transmission/convert it to manual or commit to selling the car and upgrading. Either way, its a vicious cycle and it doesn't end well if you stick to not deciding/committing to one thing or the other.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So you've thrown about $1,500 at a car that's worth maybe $3,000?

Do you think maybe that the (supposed) high costs of a professional mechanic may be worth it at this point?
If not, you're more than welcome to keep wasting money. I know the auto parts profession will support that.
Took it to one and he had no clue. The rest I did myself. But thanks for the sarcasm. On a brighter note, I have only had to change out 2 motor mounts up until about 150k, so... yeah.....[giggle]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been there. I owned an 02 SE ATX and that trans sucked. I even went so far as to take it to the dealership (shudder) and they REBUILT it. Still no luck, still did that first gear to second gear high rev in the morning. This was all back in 2005 when the car was 3 years old. Add time and 110000 miles on top of what I went through, you've got a pretty volatile mix.

Based on my life experiences, I'd say you're at a crossroads. You either have to commit full-bore head-on and replace that transmission/convert it to manual or commit to selling the car and upgrading. Either way, its a vicious cycle and it doesn't end well if you stick to not deciding/committing to one thing or the other.
Yeah, I'm kind of thinking the wheels will fall off before the better half wants to sell it [whip]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts