Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
WTB door handle Rod to Latch PLASTIC CLIP

I need to get my hands on a white plastic door piece. It's the piece where the ROD from the exterior door handle attaches to the door LATCH. It is a small white clip/retainer thingy. You put the rod through it, and then hook it to the door latch. It twists 1/4-turn, and locks the rod onto the latch, so that the rod can lift the latch and open the door.

If anyone could help me out that would be great. Willing to buy.

Or, does anyone know the PART NUMBER for just this small white plastic clip/connector/retainer that holds the rod to the latch mechanism? This would help my Internet searches.
Or if anyone has a better substitution than what I tried for that plastic clip, I am all ears.

Here are pictures of the small part. (Last pic shows my problem-- mine is broken.)
http://www.bravesboosters.com/images/DSCN1609.JPG

http://www.bravesboosters.com/images/DSCN1610.JPG

http://www.bravesboosters.com/images/DSCN1611.JPG

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Ford sells it separately or did for about $14 or $17 IIRC. The new one breaks as easy as the old if you mishandle it in the confines you're working in. You should have door latch assembly and the attaching uplink rod out on bench to connect the two.

It can be replaced for like $4 worth of hardware stuff concocted to replace the shapes needed there but in no way can I tell you how, simply too complicated and needs exact custom fitting to do work. A little b-stard of a part to replace...............

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ford sells it separately or did for about $14 or $17 IIRC. The new one breaks as easy as the old if you mishandle it in the confines you're working in. You should have door latch assembly and the attaching uplink rod out on bench to connect the two.

...A little b-stard of a part to replace...............
Thanks! Yes, I have a concocted remedy right now of small lock washers and 'speed nuts' to hold them on. It's hanging up every now and then. Not the permanent fix I want, but would love to hear some other peoples' ideas on what they did to replace it.

I did NOT remove the entire latch assembly, just installed new door handle reinforcement, and reached in to attach the rod to the latch, including my stop-gap way to keep it connected. Maybe I should try removing the whole latch as well, as you say. (Although with power locks, that latch assembly is made a lot bulkier with the attached power-lock servo.) Hmmm...not sure I want to go there.

One thing I DID do is leave out the plastic "shroud" that covers the latch rod and the lock rods from the upper, exterior handle. I really saw no functional purpose for it (other than to drive DIY-ers like me crazy.) The rods seem to operate fine and unobstructed without it in place. Do you know anything more about that 'shroud' piece and whether I really should reinstall it?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Found part number

Well, I found the part number for that tiny actuator rod-to-latch retaining clip:

W702246-S300

And then I found this "replacement" part number:
6S4Z-65219A24-A

Not sure if the replacement is the exact same part, or a slightly different part used in newer models.

I used the original number to find the part on FordParts.com. $9 + $8 Shipping + $2 handling = $19. I went ahead an ordered since it was under $20.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
The shroud would stop a certain amount of water from wicking down the uplink to end up in latch, not 100% proof. It also is antitheft to prevent slimjim from being able to unlock locked door easily. Be quiet and tell no one and easier to get in car if you lock yourself out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts