Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Put SVT brakes on my ZX5 Zetec about a month ago. Everything was great! Then ABS light came on while on highway. Turns out my front left ABS sensor cable wore on tire (clip was broken to hold away from tire and I neglected to ziptie). Just replaced with a new sensor. Tried unhooking battery for >10 min to reset light, but still there. Will it go away after driving? Is there a way to reset it without a fancy scanner (I only have a cheap one)?

Potentially related or unrelated, I drove around for about a day with the ABS light on. I then had the right front caliper sticking (I believe) - wheel and rotor super hot. The calipers I put on were used, so I have new/rebuilt ones ordered to replace. I would think the sticking caliper is unrelated to ABS, but the timing just seems a little concerning. So especially anxious to get the ABS light off with my new calipers on.

Any help is appreciated! I searched, but mostly found ABS trouble-shooting, not code reset.

·
Registered
2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT EE. 2004 ZX3 SVT
1,346 Posts
Other than disconnecting the battery, an abs code should go off after a successful repair. Did you check for a blown fuse?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply! I just went out and checked fuses - 46 in cabin and 11 & 21 in engine compartment. All three looked ok, but swapped out anyway. Hooked battery back up and light still on :(

You're certain it should go off instantly? i.e. does not need wheels turning to reconfirm sensor?

Attached photo is the sensor that rubbed and was replaced, which seems relatively definitive. But maybe not that easy.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Buying a nicer scanner like this guy:

Will report back next week once it arrives.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Was actually able to borrow an ABS capable scanner from a family member. It read the code as expected (Left Front sensor that I had found with the cut wire and replaced) and I was able to clear - 2 minute job.

For those searching in the future, ABS capable scanner is the only way to clear the ABS light that I am aware of.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts