Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I let my car sit for about a month due to problems with the registration and when I turned it on last Friday, it was misfiring badly during idle and when moving, especially under acceleration. I did turn on the car a few weeks before but I only let it run for about 2 minutes to check if everything was fine; I did not notice any misfiring during that 2 or so minutes. It did rain heavily for a few days after that happened, I'm not sure if that would come into play.
As I go higher into the gears, I get less and less power. I'm thinking a cylinder isn't working. I already changed the spark plugs but it made no difference.
Any ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Also the car sounds similar to a Subaru boxer engine except that it shouldn't be like that, of course lol. Acceleration is twitchy. I checked my air intake and dont notice any clogs. What else? Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Stock air intake should have a flow test button. The owner's manual tells how to test it- IIRC- hold the button down while the engine idles warm. Was that in the green?

Mileage? Have the coil boots ever been changed?

Have you filled the car up recently? Your problem really sounds more like it is fuel related. Ethanol blend gasolines do not last very long. I'll have to look it up, but from memory it's less than 60 days from when it was blended. There's no telling how long it sat before you got it (2-3 days), and any condensation that might accumulate in the tank will quicken the separation process. This problem could go away with a new fuel filter by the end of your second tank since you could drive it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 2003 2.3 had the same symptoms.

You are not going to beleive it, but, change the passenger side motor mount.

I had a rough loud idle. Also sounded like sputtering while accelerating. It sure did fool me into thinking it was a firing problem. I changed everything.

Finally I changed the motor mount and it was as smooth as a new car.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I have an am cold air intake. I checked the pipes and didn't notice anything unusual. I'll try running the gas out and filling it up. It's about a quarter of the way through on the tank. Should I add any additives like those fuel injector cleaners? Thanks for the help guys.
Also, I haven't changed the coil boots...ever. could anyone link me a "how to" on this specific engine, or anything similar?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts