Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m trying to pass smog, and I have the codes P2004 and P2008. I know that the codes mean runner control stuck open and runner control circuit open. Vacuum lines appear to be fine so I’m thinking just the solenoid is bad. I am confused, however, as the 2.3 has 2 solenoids right next to each other on top of the intake manifold. Which one would I replace? Will it throw a different code if I switch them around?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,326 Posts
Your stilling going to have a mil on when you swap them....Replace the one on the drivers side, which operates the imrc. The other one is a imtv which changes the runner length as the 23 has a dual runner intake vs a 20......

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Your stilling going to have a mil on when you swap them....
MIL aka CEL.

That's not true OR more discussion & explanation is needed.

IMTV is not monitored, so the IMTV system could be failed, and you would not know, unless you were actually watching it work OR watching it not work.

I have never seen or heard about a IMTV DTC (code).

The IMRC Actuator position is monitored by the PCM.
The IMTV Actuator does not have the internal sensor, nor the external wiring, so the PCM does not know what that actuator is doing; at least not directly.

If the OP has a functional IMTV Solenoid and a defective IMRC Solenoid and then he "swaps them", the prior codes (P2004-P2008) should disappear. This assumes that the only fault in the IMRC system was a defective solenoid. In this example, the OP would then have a broken IMTV system (with no codes) but he would be able to pass SMOG testing... assuming nothing else bites him.

If the OP currently has a bad IMTV solenoid, the "swap them" trick will be a dead end, the codes will remain, the MIL/CEL will remain on.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,326 Posts
The if one of the solenoid's is bad, then you'd have mil on. Yea from the solenoid's to the acuvator's is vacuum controlled.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts