Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I am trying to save my wife some money and trouble, her focus is throwing P0128 and it seems the place to start is replacing the thermostat.

Car is slow to warm up is the main symptom along with code.

I am getting some conflicting info on where the thermostat is. One guide talks the lower hose under the AC compressor and the steering pump. Others say at the upper hose. Which is right? I am hoping the upper, not a fan on removing all that stuff on her car, I am used to jeep motors myself.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Is your engine a single or twin cam? Single will have silver valve covers and twin will have black.

The thermostat should reside on the right side of the engine block (looking at it from the front) and is in a black plastic case with 5 hoses coming out of it. Trying undoing the three torx screws located in the front of the unit, but be careful: if they strip out, you'll have a hell of a time taking appart the two sections that hold the thermostat. Take your time. I actually removed the thermostat housing and do yourself a favor: toss out the crimps and use adjustable worm crimps, muuuuuuuch easier to put back together.

Run a search, this is a common thing to replace on cars that age. I've had to replace mine twice in my '03. Do get a new gasket with the thermostat!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Silver valve cover.

I see what you are talking about, and saw many saying there but the Chiltons and a few other places talked about unhooking the steering pump which was pointing to the other side.

Seems like a few cables to disconnect, drain, and 2 bolts holding the coilpack and I have access to the housing.

Sound about right? If so guess I have some work this weekend.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Well, I have a ZETEC (twin cam) so it might be a bit different because I've never worked on a SPI (single cam).

Have a look on autozone.com, register for it. You'll be able to use the equivalent of a chilton's manual for free. Look in the DIY auto repair.

I personally did not have to remove the coilpack but I guess you'd have more room to maneuver. See if you can remove just the three torx screws, for kicks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So it seems my understanding may have been off.

This is the upper in what I call the front of the vehicle and motor. Where I hoped it was.

This is the rear one almost at the firewall on the passenger side.

If the schematic from the dealer is right, the one in back near the firewall has the thermostat and if that is the case, I do not want to play in that area on her vehicle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts