Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a 2002 zx3 that needed a fuel pump and an alternator. I changed those things and finally got it started and running but it will not idle. With the intake tube on it will idle around 3500-4000 rpm. And if you take the tube off it will try to idle around 500-1000 rpm but not enough to keep it running. It also threw a mass airflow sensor code, I changed it and still no change. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
15,560 Posts
It obviously needs more than you thought it did. Why are you even thinking about pulling the intake tube off, that's goofy.

·
Registered
844 Posts
So I bought a 2002 zx3 that needed a fuel pump and an alternator. I changed those things and finally got it started and running but it will not idle. With the intake tube on it will idle around 3500-4000 rpm. And if you take the tube off it will try to idle around 500-1000 rpm but not enough to keep it running. It also threw a mass airflow sensor code, I changed it and still no change. Thanks for any info.
PCV hose is broken.

·
Registered
980 Posts
What is RFP using live data on a scan tool?

Also more background:
Was the car running when you got it?
If not how long was it not running?
Tell us the whole story

Paul

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Car wasn't running when I got it, it was sitting for about 2 years. Throttle body was locked up and had to be sprayed with wd-40 to free it up. Also had water around where the spark plugs are, I had to get the water out with a shop vac and let it dry out before it would start. I wasn't expecting much considering I got it for $200.

·
Registered
15,560 Posts
The issue will likely be any water that got in there. If TB locked up did water go INTO THE MOTOR? If yes you may well be wasting money here. At the least the plugs will have rusted in the holes and need changing and likely wires too.

Fuel pump may be dead too, they tend to go bad when sitting if the local fuel has ethanol in it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fuel pump was dead, I changed it already. I have a donor car that im using for parts. I don't think any water got into the engine, the oil looks good. But I will try plugs and wires, and see if it helps. The ones on my donor car are fairly new so I'll try that first.

·
Registered
15,560 Posts
It would somewhat unusual for any TB to lock up by itself and other water in plug holes mentioned. Why I'm chasing the water issue.

If the fuel pump was original and did not have two steel rods in the top of it and the pump change was a pump by itself with no plastic module then most likely you have the wrong pump there too, it WILL cause more issues.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Also consider a faulty Idle Air Control valve. It's located underneath the intake manifold and is a PITA to change.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts