Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i spank my car going from 2-3 shift it grinds. Even if I spank it and press the clutch in and let the engine wind down a little it show a little sign of a grind.

This would definitely by a synchro going out right? How much does something like this cost to replace because I need to get it fixed this spring. Right now the car is in lock-up.

I also should note- The 3rd gear feels "Looser" if that is correct to say when i push it into the 3rd gear spot. Do you think that has something to do with the synchro.

Let me know.

Thanks.

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,787 Posts
It is a syncro cost depends on what you do. I was told to fix that with my car would 2k and I decided it wasn't bad enough to worry about I figured out a way to be super careful for the shift and it doesn't grind usually.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
you could try re adjusting the shift cables. thats also next on my lsit. (well i actually have to replace mine, but you get the idea) if the cables arent adjsuted properly it wont chage gears that well and cause grinding,etc.

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,787 Posts
I just reread your post and do you not normally use your clutch to shift? Adjusting linkages I heard can help sometimes but not always. Does it grind for normal driving?

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
its impossible to get into the next gear without grinding if you dont use the clutch. and that kind of driving will break stuff.

another thing is change the trans fluid. it's supposed to be doe every 30,000 miles. when was the last time it was done?

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,787 Posts
You can rev match shift without grinding its just not really the best for the car IMO. I do it sometimes into 4th and 5th gear but not usually.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Trans. fluid was changed at 20K miles I only have 31K on clock so that can be ruled out.
I use the clutch every time i change gears so that can be ruled out.
When I drive normally it doesn't grind at all. My 3rd gear is the best gear to boost in i just need to be rolling. I don't beat on my car very often thats the truth. I was told the syncros on the car was the weakpoint of the trans period. The car has After market clutch, flywheel, arp bolts, quaiffe LSD. Damn synchros!

·
Focus "Sleeper"
1,619 Posts
The mtx75 has a bad history with the 3rd gear syncros. Probably best off going to a junkyard and pulling one off a totalled focus.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
mm kay. so if its only got 31K on it then the cables might need adjsuting. i'd try that first. then get a new trans if you ahve to.

i ahve an issue with second gear. but i'm gonna replace my cables and give that ia shot first seeing as transmissions are expensive.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So basically my car has super low milage and I have to grab a old trans that has well over 100k on it and swap it...

I'll drive with a sloppy 3rd till it craps out on my completely. Thanks.

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,787 Posts
Ill try to video my 3rd gear shift for you to see what I do to not grind I don't know how to explain it otherwise I would. I talked to a reputable shop and they said not to worry unless it gets to the point where it happens when doing daily driving i.e. not playing. I hope this info has helped.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have the same problem and have the knowledge to change the synchro I just need to find somewhere to buy it? Not sure if anyone knows a good vendor or site I can get one from.

Thanks,
Ryan

·
Registered
431 Posts
i am to having the same problem when they took my tranny out to look at it they said nothing was wrong with gears or synchros so i was like wtf they replaced the 3rd synchro and it still grinded and we re did the linkage i have sent it back to the mechanic i work for for them to fix the car again i also have a warranty so im not paying for shit but it would cost about 1k to 1500 to get your car fixed mainly for the labor not parts but thats with anything you get fixed on your car good luck man, im also getting a new clutch because the car has 75k on it and its the original clutch so im just buying the ford kit i dont need any performance it just has to look good and be smooth lol but if my car is better within the next few weeks ill let you know what was wrong maybe ill give you good help hopefully

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
i have had this same problem and know many to have the same problem.. dont change the synchros... im gonna tell you how to fix it.. it has worked for EVERYONE that i have recommended... you ready.. buy some "PENZOIL SYNCHROMESH" its in a yellow bottle ... do not buy the royal purple of the ford honey oil ... "PENZOIL SYNCHROMESH" i know it says on the bottle is for gm and chrysler but TRUST ME!!! IT WORKS!!!! try that and get back to me..

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
it might work. seing as its probably a lighter or heavier weight lube so it sticks better (cant remember which one does it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts