Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had parked my car for about a week and when I went out to drive it, the car was dead. I put my battery charger on it and as soon as I turned on the charger, the engine started turning over. I disconnected the terminals and charged the battery. When I connected the terminal, the engine turned over until I disconnected the battery. I switched the ignition on and connected the battery and it started up but the bendix would not disengage. Do I have a bad solenoid or is my starter on the way out?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
You'll have to do some checking to find out.

Start by disconnecting the solenoid wire at the starter (with battery neg. terminal disconnected) then reconnect & see what happens.

If the starter doesn't spin then, it's OK & you need to test the solenoid wire for power.

If there is power at that wire just from hooking up the battery, there's a wiring fault you'll need to trace & correct to have it start properly.

·
Registered
17,147 Posts
You may need to give the solenoid a whack to free the contact up inside it.

The battery cable to starter can short inside the plastic in such a way that the small wire that works solenoid on then shorts to the main power lead there, that can do it.

A very low about-to-die battery can weld the solenoid contacts shut to do it too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts