Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all!
I'm trying to adjust my rear brakes so my emergency brake lever actually does something when I pull it up. I think part of my "mushy" brake pedal has something to do with this problem as well.
I saw on-line about pushing the button behind the tires until you can hear the brake pads just hitting the drums, but I never got to that point.
so I took the drums off to take a look at what the button was doing, and there is no part of my brake system that even comes close to that button[hihi].'
I've also done a search with no success.
A link or explanation would be appreciated. I didn't take the pads and springs off, but the cable from the emergency lever doesn't look frozen.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions
R&R

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well as what usually happens I find the answer after I ask the question. I have been looking for a while though...
is a pretty good video for me, although I did find what I thought were a few mistakes. Like order of bleeding brakes. I thought he said to start with the front?
Anyway I can see that my emergency brake cable is way further up than in this video, and I need to see if I have that self adjuster as well.
HTH someone....

·
Registered
15,480 Posts
The rear brakes do not adjust in any fine sense of the word. You put the drums back together correctly aand as loose as possible to get them on easy and then hitting the brake pedal 2-3 times allows the adjusters to adjust up to the tightest point they will get to. No reversing or even car moving at all needed to do that.

If parking brake cable has lever still too loose then, the cable gets adjusted tighter.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies! I just stripped an axle bolt, and auto zone wants $32.00 for a new one. The fun continues....

·
Registered
118 Posts
Wow, that video was full of bad instructions.
-
NEVER, use cutters to hold any cable. This can damage them & cause fraying.
-
The Focus rear spindle nut is one-time use only.
A new rear spindle nut is installed & tightened by turning drum counter-clockwise while torquing to 174-ft-lbs.

The drum can be removed by the four retaining bolts on the inside behind the backing plate.
This will drop the spindle & drum as a set. No need to replace/disturb the spindle nut.
-
That tiny spring that is part of the parking adjuster, can go on last. Much easier that way.
-
The dust cap can be reused, but only if not damaged. These keep contaminates out of the bearings. Besides, these are dirt cheap. Why even reuse the old cap?
-
Bleeding can be done their way, but is inefficient & messy.
Crafting a bleeder bottle is cleaner & can allow one to bleed brakes alone.

·
Registered
15,480 Posts
I reuse the axle nuts all day long. They can be used 3-4 times if the repeatedly pull back up fully to the proper torque, some do, some don't. And I go to 200 lbs.

I reuse the dust caps too even after knocking holes in them to pry off using a slot screwdriver. It cuts a tab in them, you simply punch the tab back even and coat the flaw with gasket sealer like Permatex and reuse the cap, it works fine.

I've removed using the bolts on back of axle stub but at least one position there is somewhat shielded by the backing plate and strips or rounds the corners of that one bolt very easily. Using a 12 point socket almost always rounds it off.

On the cutters, it depends, if a set from Harbor Freight the cutters will be softer than the parking cable and whether or not they cut is in control of the person doing the work anyway. To make it short, damage or not like always is in the hands of the person doing the work. But no, using cutters will not be right for those who cannot limit themselves.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts