Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
If you know your ECU code I can tell you the exact Fans turn on Deg for the low and high speed Fans

Tom
Tom,
Can you tell me what the temps are for my 2002 Zetec 5-speed wagon ECU code LFQ1.

Thank you
Paul

·
Registered
17,771 Posts
Marked on outside of PCM. Possibly a scanner can read it too.

Reactions: bdbaddog

·
FF Affiliate
31,221 Posts
Tom,
Can you tell me what the temps are for my 2002 Zetec 5-speed wagon ECU code LFQ1.

Thank you
Paul

Low speed on 230 deg
Low speed off 220 deg

High speed on 246 deg
High speed off 232 deg

High speed high load back on at 240 deg

There you go
Tom

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Low speed on 230 deg
Low speed off 220 deg

High speed on 246 deg
High speed off 232 deg

High speed high load back on at 240 deg

There you go
Tom
Thank you

Paul

·
Registered
2002 Focus ZX3 (Zetec) 95k miles (as of 05/2021;)
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Got new Motorcraft thermostat and gasket and will be installing later today/tomorrow.
Also better ODB2 scanner, and picked up a bluetooth odb2 to try using to torque.

·
Registered
2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT EE. 2004 ZX3 SVT
2,477 Posts
Got new Motorcraft thermostat and gasket and will be installing later today/tomorrow.
Also better ODB2 scanner, and picked up a bluetooth odb2 to try using to torque.
Check for corrosion and pitting on the cylinder head underneath the thermostat. If heavy, clean with alcohol and fill with jb weld and sand flat. After replacement fill up the system through the overflow tank. Leave cap off and start the car and run for 5 minutes at 2500 rpm. This will bleed all of the air out.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Check for corrosion and pitting on the cylinder head underneath the thermostat. If heavy, clean with alcohol and fill with jb weld and sand flat. After replacement fill up the system through the overflow tank. Leave cap off and start the car and run for 5 minutes at 2500 rpm. This will bleed all of the air out.
I won't be getting at the cylinder head when just replacing the thermostat.
I did when I replace the thermostat housing.
The surface was in good condition, though it was rusty colored inside.

For the zetec I just pull a couple hoses and 3 x T20's (I think), pull the old one out, put gasket on new one, and make sure I align the bleed hole up (Thanks @amc49 for filling in that detail). And hopefully that's all I need to do...

I'm assuming just snug the torx screws in the thermostat hosing when reassembling, since it's plastic?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yes. DON"T go Johnny Mondo on it and strip the threads/plastic...just did this on my 2003 ZX3 to put the burp hole in the 12 o'clock position per AMC49...

·
Registered
2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT EE. 2004 ZX3 SVT
2,477 Posts
I won't be getting at the cylinder head when just replacing the thermostat.
I did when I replace the thermostat housing.
The surface was in good condition, though it was rusty colored inside.

For the zetec I just pull a couple hoses and 3 x T20's (I think), pull the old one out, put gasket on new one, and make sure I align the bleed hole up (Thanks @amc49 for filling in that detail). And hopefully that's all I need to do...

I'm assuming just snug the torx screws in the thermostat hosing when reassembling, since it's plastic?
Yes. They are self tapping but you obviously want to not overtighten. I use a bit driver on a 1/4 drive screwdriver handle. Don't forget to run it at 2500 with the cap off to purge all of the air.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
The existing thermostat was properly oriented and had the bleeder hole. Replaced it anyway. In pictures below orange gasket is the 1aauto part, black is motorcraft part.

focus-0.jpg

Here's a comparison:

focus-7.jpg

Newly installed:
focus-8 copy.jpg

BTW. In this housing it wasn't possible to rotate the thermostat and have it seat.. Curious.

Probably get a drive in tomorrow and check temps to see if this is any bettter.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Hmm Temps are about the same.
:(

Here's a graph of speed vs temp. ( for some reason 2.5 = 250 F on y axis)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I'm thinking the following are currently true:
1) the new Motorcraft thermostat is working (it's supposed to be 195F, but who knows)
2) Clearly when the high speed fan goes on it brings the temp down, but may only be getting kicked on by a/c? I'd think the ECU would be doing that or the normal temp activation.
3) The water pump is working (it was replaced with timing belt service I did), and if temp drops, then water must be flowing?
4) Is it possible the coolant flush I did clogged something up? if so would the high speed fan have worked?
5) Is it possible replaced spark plugs (properly gapped at 0.50 vs the old plugs were out to 0.70) has affected the operating temp?

I'm thinking that I should test what temp the old thermostat (still in the removed thermostat housing) opens?
If it's not 195, and it's lower than 195, get a new one that temp and replace the ford one?
Or just swap it back in and see if that affects the temp? (Kinda rusty)

I could test the low and high speed fans by jumping the relays?

Other avenues to try?
Frustrating..

Thanks to all for your help and patience thus far.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
How old is the radiator?

I could test the low and high speed fans by jumping the relays?
Yes - and I would - but keep in mind that only tests the fans and the power side of the circuit, not the control side.

Paul

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
How old is the radiator?

Yes - and I would - but keep in mind that only tests the fans and the power side of the circuit, not the control side.

Paul
Original radiator, fans, resister pack, relays, battery (believe it or not...still good)..
SVT suspension swapped in about 10 years ago.
New timing belt, tensioner, cam gear bolts, serp belt, serp tensioner and follower, valve cover gasket, plugs, plug wires, thermostat housing, thermostat, coolant..

Testing the control side seems quite difficult if it needs to get to 230 to turn on low fan and 240 to turn on high fan (not counting A/C on)..

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Original radiator, fans, resister pack, relays, battery (believe it or not...still good)..
SVT suspension swapped in about 10 years ago.
New timing belt, tensioner, cam gear bolts, serp belt, serp tensioner and follower, valve cover gasket, plugs, plug wires, thermostat housing, thermostat, coolant..

Testing the control side seems quite difficult if it needs to get to 230 to turn on low fan and 240 to turn on high fan (not counting A/C on)..
Prior to all this work it used to run right around 209F (I'm pretty sure)..

·
Registered
17,771 Posts
Don't see anywhere where the temp sensor has been changed; sometimes they do go off kilter.

The stats generally have temp stamped on them somewhere.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Don't see anywhere where the temp sensor has been changed; sometimes they do go off kilter.

The stats generally have temp stamped on them somewhere.
Original temp sensor.
I have a touchless thermometer.
If I compare that to cylinder head temps they should match if the sensors good?

21 - 40 of 70 Posts