Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How far do you have to take the alternator apart to get to the alternator brushes?

I've replaced them on other cars (the most recent being my sisters 2005 Saturn Vue 2.2) to save mega bucks on a alternator (spent $4 on the brushes)........

thanks

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've read what a PITA it is to remove the alternator, so I don't want to remove it unless I know I can change the brushes (it's still working)

With my sister, I was putting a used engine in it, so the alternator was already out.........

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Like any other alternator, but for now I agree that there's no sense in removing it while it's working. Alternator failure with this car is like any other car- get a jump, then come home and fix it. IMO it's not worth fixing before it needs to be fixed. Besides, we have more issues with the VR, VR wiring, and inline fuses than the field brushes.

FYI: There is a 150a built in fuse on the wire between the battery and alternator near the battery connector. Problems with the VR regulator plug-in are common, the wires pull out of the connector, and are sometimes damaged in the wiring harness. All this should be inspected before performing any sort of alternator repair. There's no sense in wasting time.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm basically at 100k, how long do the alternator brushes last?

My thinking was if it was simple, I'd be picking the time to repair the alternator rather than the alternator picking the time.................

1 - 5 of 5 Posts