Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I will state this now as to avoid any flaming or bumping of this thread. I am using the mobile app for this site and the search tool is not working either on desktop or mobile versions so I cannot look this up...

I have a 2002 manual 5 spd zx3 focus. I was driving it to work yesterday and on my way in I could smell something burning, had a bad smell to it, and my car seemed to lose all drive. I stopped at a red light and dropped it in first gear. Car revved like crazy and barely crawled up to 25 mph.. Clutch fluid is good in the car so I left it overnight and tried to drive it this morning.. Car is stuck in neutral and wont shit to any other gear... So do I just need to replace the CLUTCH MASTER CLYINDER only? Im trying to find out asap so I can go buy it and do it myself. I do apologize for recreating something that is probably an old thread but like I said the search tool is not working whatsoever for me.. Any help or advice is great.. Im trying to avoid taking it into a mechanic shop as I know my way around the vehicle and can replace it myself.,. Thank you guys and gals for your help!

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
I will move this to a better section for a faster response.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you.. Im really worried as to what the issue is. I called auto zone and he said the pressure plates or shift cables might be messed up or not engaing because my clutch isint stuck, its just not engaging out of neutral. I dont know where to start to see if the trans is bad or the clutch lines..

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Have you visually inspected it?

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Put your car in 3rd gear while parked, give it some throttle and try to take off.

Post results.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so I attempted the 3rd gear trick and nothing... My cousin and me changed the clutch master cylinder and fixed the clutch but it still wont go into gear. His father stated that it sounds like the clutch plate went out.. (Friction plate).

Would this be the issue?

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Slave cylinder?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Always tough to give solid advice at a distance without much info..

Burning & slipping means the clutch is toast in general, Vince was giving a test for a clutch slipping. If it does, it's shot.

When a clutch is badly worn, loose pieces of friction plate material can jam it up so it won't release. One possible cause for not being able to put it in gear with the engine running.

We don't know how the pedal feels, that's the info. needed to guess if the master/slave is working (besides the obvious of leaks).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright guys sorry to get back to ya.. The external clutch has just been replaced and has pressure... The car will now still not go into gear at all, yet the clutch has pressure... My cousin said that now I need to replace the friction plates, which is the slave cylinder that needs to be done?
A friend told me I may have snapped a cable under the car and thats why it wont engage. I dont know, im confused.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Listen to your cousin, sounds like he has a clue.

You're confused because you don't know how a clutch works, answers here are like telling you to reboot your phone & you came back with "OK, I put a new boot on it & it still doesn't work".

A clutch is ALWAYS engaged, except when the release mechanism operated by the pedal disengages it (master & slave cyl. in this case). You can't shift into gear when the engine is running without disengaging the clutch.

If the release mechanism won't disengage it, it's probably jammed up from falling apart & can't be fixed without replacement. That's the friction plate your cousin & father were talking about.

Since you have to pull the transmission to replace a clutch, the entire assembly is usually replaced at one time. Pressure plate, friction plate & slave cylinder.

Car should currently go into some gears with the engine off. It won't necessarily go into all of them because nothing is spinning & they can't all engage at rest.

If you put it in gear & it won't roll with the pedal depressed, the clutch is jammed up & trying to spin the engine as the car is pushed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awesome, thanks for the help guys.. I found a local military friendly trans shop that'll do the job for $850 +tax.
Wish my cousin had all the tools to support this type of fix so I didnt have to pay so much but oh well, I love that zx3 and dont mind spending the money on it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts