Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to have plenty of power, headlights and highbeams work fine. the car will not crank. The instrument lights up and the car just clicks. the click is coming from under the dash, drivers side.

when I put my key in the anti theft like goes solid and then off after 3 seconds, it does blink rapidly as I try and start it( is this normal).FYI= I only have one key.

Yesterday it was very very hot and I drove the car around some. I also had the windshield replaced in the morning but drove the car after that without any issue.

thoughts?

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
On the older Foci, there is a relay in the under dash fuse box. I've seen several threads on that relay going bad, and all the FFs hear is a click under the dash. I don't know the exact location of the relay. It should be in your owner's manual, and you should be able to find it by turning the key and listening or feeling suspect relays.

Since it's clicking at all, there should be no problem with the PATS system- the flashing lock. If there is something wrong- like wrong key, no transponder- there won't be a click anywhere.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On the older Foci, there is a relay in the under dash fuse box. I've seen several threads on that relay going bad, and all the FFs hear is a click under the dash. I don't know the exact location of the relay. It should be in your owner's manual, and you should be able to find it by turning the key and listening or feeling suspect relays.

Since it's clicking at all, there should be no problem with the PATS system- the flashing lock. If there is something wrong- like wrong key, no transponder- there won't be a click anywhere.
Thanks for the feedback I pulled the passenger fuse panel and swapped the starter relay with the rear defrost. it still is just clicking and I am pretty sure the relay I swapped with is good....I am going to get a new relay anyways........I guess I will try and get it jacked up and see if I am getting power to the starter?.........thoughts?

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
when I put my key in the anti theft like goes solid and then off after 3 seconds,
Normal.

it does blink rapidly as I try and start it( is this normal).FYI= I only have one key.
A rapidly flashing PATS (Passive Anti Theft System) light on an attempted start is not normal. It usually indicates the PATS system has been activated/has a problem so I wouldn't bother looking for starter motor problems. This might be the appropriate time to use the odometer diagnostic trick as some PATS error codes are shown here.
http://www.focushacks.com/index.php?modid=37&ht=Instrument%20Cluster%20Test%20and%20Diagnostic%20Mode
See the bottom of the web page.

As whynot points out though it should disable certain relays so you've got something odd happening.

The usual quick resolution is to try the second PATS key. You don't have one so make sure your key chain - if you have one - isn't obscuring the transceiver in the ignition ring or something simple like that.

IMO, try to resolve the PATS issue first.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
update

Solved.....I think.........I pulled the starter this morning. it was a total PITA.......Do not even think about doing it unless you have a ratcheting 13mm wrench........a lot ot patience and some imagination. I did it off car ramps. you really need a lift to do it in an effective amount of time....there are 3 13mm bolts holding the start on. 2 at the top and 1 at the bottom. you need to remove 2 of the 3 electrical connections. the 3rd is the ground. one bolt is 13mm and the other 10mm......I needed to modify my socket to get the 10mm back on.....

I took the starter to the store and they tested it....they said it passed, however the armature seemed loose to me and you could shake it and the end of the starter where the plate goes you could hear crap rattling in there........I bought a new starter and installed it.........it started up........I have a charger on it because the battery was a little weak.......I am wondering if I should have tried to jump it this morning, maybe even though the headlights where working there was still not enough juice. I also bought a new relay for $10. They did not even make that easy to change, you have to unbolt the panel to change the relays. anyways I think the starter was on the way out anyways. I will keep an eye on the anti theft light and see if it flashed fast when I try starting it. I will keep you updated if anything changes..thanks for the help it is appreciated....

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Normal.

A rapidly flashing PATS (Passive Anti Theft System) light on an attempted start is not normal. It usually indicates the PATS system has been activated/has a problem so I wouldn't bother looking for starter motor problems. This might be the appropriate time to use the odometer diagnostic trick as some PATS error codes are shown here.
http://www.focushacks.com/index.php?modid=37&ht=Instrument%20Cluster%20Test%20and%20Diagnostic%20Mode
See the bottom of the web page.

As whynot points out though it should disable certain relays so you've got something odd happening.

The usual quick resolution is to try the second PATS key. You don't have one so make sure your key chain - if you have one - isn't obscuring the transceiver in the ignition ring or something simple like that.

IMO, try to resolve the PATS issue first.
It started right up this morning. the theft light did not flash as I was starting it. I am wondering if yesterday the battery was low enough to keep the starter from engaging but still had enough juice to power up the headlights and high beams. In hindsight I should have tried to jump it but I think the starter was on its way out anyways. I have only had the car a month and it is my 1st focus, it takes me a while to get completely familiar with a car. thanks for the info about the odometer test mode......I did the test by holding the trip button and turning the car to run. I am not sure if I was suppose to start the car and do the test.( I saw on the site it said to start the car) I did come up with one DTC 9318, low battery voltage. I know my voltage is not below the 10 volts needed to trip the DTC. I tried clearing the code but could not figure out how to do it, maybe it is not possible.

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
The only thing I can suggest is the PATS system, like any other car electrical system, requires a solid 12V to energize the transceiver in the ignition ring. Guess the flashing PATS light was a red herring and, as you've suggested, low battery voltage may have been the culprit for all your starting troubles. I'd keep an eye on your charging system for the next little bit as a precaution.
And, no, I've never heard of a method to clear the dash DTC codes. The battery voltage one should disappear when the voltage comes back up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts