Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my car was outside overnight in below zero weather for the first time this year. In the morning when I went to leave my house, it wouldn't start. At first I thought it was the battery, so I charged it and tried again. Still nothing. Then I figured the oil had become too viscous due to the cold, so I pushed it into my garage, put an oil pan heater on and waited for most of the day. Went to start it and still nothing. I replaced the spark plugs and doubled checked that the plug wires worked and still no start. My mechanic thought that it might not be starting because gas had gotten in the oil from so many start attempts so I changed the oil and filter. Still nothing. He then told me to squirt some oil in cylinder to make sure the compression chambers were fully sealed and still no start.

I've ruled out cold oil, bad plugs, bad wires, bad starter, and a bad battery so far and I'm completely out of ideas on what to do. If I don't come up with anything soon, I'm gonna have to bring it to a shop *gasp* to get some professional help. I'd rather not spend the money but I need my car working soon.

I'm not sure if any of my mods would cause this but I guess anything is possible: 2.5 header-back exhaust with a HFC, 67mm TB, Tom's Tune, and an ITG Pro-Filter. Also, my TPS doesn't work. I was planning on getting that fixed when my car wouldn't start. Doubt that would prevent my car from starting, but as far as I know it's possible.

If anyone has any ideas on how to get my car running, I'd greatly appreciate it!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to General Tech Chat

Stinkin' cold never helps, Sounds like you got it cranking - I assume a few charges of the battery since you mention a LOT of attempts.

Looks like you did some kind of spark check, have you looked at plugs yet?

Any checking on the fuel supply? (hear pump run, ck. pressure with a scan tool)

Open the fill cap & make sure cam is turning?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup I checked the plugs. Put em on the side of the motor and cranked the engine and I got a good spark. The timing belt moves, fuel and air both move into the firing chambers. Right now we're thinking the timing jumped. Pistons fire but won't keep firing and I've gotten a couple of backfires. Having it towed to my mechanics shop so he can take a look. Hopefully the timing belt is the problem bbecause its our only idea

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Hopefully not jumped too far if that is the problem, interference engine can bend valves if timing is off too much. (SVT)

·
Registered
637 Posts
Your mechanic doesn't seem to bright if you don't mind me saying. Gas rarely gets in the oil, and even if it does its not going to effect how it starts. You DONT want it to be your timing belt. Not on this engine. I'm nit seeing any mention that you are getting fuel??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts