Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all Ive done a bunch of forum surfing but all the good threads I find are outdated info or unanswered so maybe ill get lucky here:

Im looking to replace my stock SVT subwoofer because the foam surround is torn and I kind of want an upgrade anyways. I have an after market radio wired to use the stock amp and stock sub so I want to keep using the stock amp if possible to save some money and work.

So my question is:

What subs fit the stock box and sounds good with the stock amp?
I saw something that said the svt sub box changed from one year to the next and some can fit 10" subs. Which box do I have and what does that mean?

[cheers]

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
Most 8" subs fit with little to no modification. The box has a pylon internally that the factory sub mounts too. If you get a deeper sub, you may have to trim that off and seal the hole with fiberglass.

A few options for you:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_777M284/Sound-Ordnance-M2-8SVC.html?tp=111
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DB840D/Polk-Audio-db840DVC.html?tp=111

For what it's worth, the stock amp is pretty weak (estimated about 70rms). It might be worth your time to upgrade that if you are really looking for better sound.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can I use the stock wiring with a new amp? Is something like that possible?

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
No, the factory wiring cant handle the power of an aftermarket amp.

You would need:
1. Power cable run to the battery
2. Ground run toa nearby bolt
3. Slight hack on the factory harness to create a RCA output and signal wire.
4. RCA & Signal wire run from harness to the new amp.

There are plenty of tutorials, pictures, and diagrams here on the forums. It's not super difficult if you have done any wiring before.

·
ELVIS LIVES !
2,553 Posts
Does the factory sub have dual voice coils? Polk subs are very good indeed. If you go with an after market amp go with a dual voice coil sub. Also use good wires. The factory wires are good if all you want to do is replace your speakers and maybe a new 200 watt head unit (50x4). Any more power than that you will have to run all new wires. [headbang]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts