Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I am getting ready to change out the bushings on my 2002 SVT focus with a full polyurethane set. The car has 103,000 miles on it and I'm wondering if I should tackle the ball joints while I'm at it. I don't have any reason to believe they are failing, but it's still a lot of miles and while I have the control arms out, should I change the ball joints? I realize the Moog ball joints are only about $20 bucks to replace, but with the work of getting the riveted ones out vs buying new control arms, is it worth it? I don't have an angle grinder and I haven't seen any other techniques to remove the factory ball joints from the control arm. Is there a way they can be drilled out? Would it just be easier to drop the extra coin and get Mood control arms and replace those bushings?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I would just replace the whole control arm while you are at it. Otherwise you will also have to change the bushings for the control arms soon. I changed my control arms at 120k and the new one make a huge difference. It wasn't just the ball joint but the other bushings too.

If you are interested, I have a moog control arm that should fit your application. It is brand new. When I was replacing my parts, I got the wrong parts because apparently in 2004 mid year the ball joint changed designs.

My OEM had riveted ball joints so I ordered the Moog control arms that come with riveted ball joints. Those did not fit my application (the ball joint shaft was too big). That's when I realized my production date was past the date in 2004 when the design changed. My 2004 took the Moog control arms that come with the bolted joint ball. So be careful if you plan to order moog ball joint because it might not fit your knuckle.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have polyurethane bushings that I want to install too, so I would have to remove the ones in the new FCAs.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,466 Posts
Would be great to swap out the oem style A-arms w/ CFM ones....... or at least Doms ones......

1 - 4 of 4 Posts