Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im trying to find the right cam to put in my car and have no idea what to get because im new to the car. im in the process of rebuilding the engine and already replaced all 4 pistons with deeper valve recesses. the car is pretty much stock besides a little exhaust work and cold air intake. im looking for biggest power gain possible really. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

·
FF Affiliate
31,087 Posts
Hello, The SVT cams are already very aggressive basicly bigger then the STG3 Zetec cams you can buy for the STD Zetec Focus

If you look at the CAT cams and there is another Co. that makes SVT Cams but there very costly for the gains

Your best bet for Performance is
2.5 or 3 inch Exh
off road pipe
tune
TB
drop in filter

The stock Valve reliefs are more then big enough for bigger cams , if you cut them you will lower the compression which will slightly lower performance

I am not sure what you power goals are but boost will be your best option if you want to reach 200 or over and have a good useable power band

Tom

·
PARTS HUNTER
3,001 Posts
Even svts with turbo setups don't touch the cams. Kinda a waste of money. A turbo setup on a SVTF can get around 300whp on a stock motor

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the problem is that i have to change the cams because the machine shop i took the head to dropped it and it snapped in half, atleast thats what they said. and had to change pistons anyway, didnt grind them out, and they are still the same compression ratio. like i said just wondering which cam would be the best

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
issue with cat cams is the "mild" upgrades over stock increase duration but reduce lift. There is like a 0.050" reduction in lift vs stock while duration is increase by 12 degrees. The difference in exhaust cams is 20 degrees of duration but little (<0.010) difference in lift.

Personally, Id try and find a stock cam. itll be cheaper. And a bump in compression and tune will yield more useable power than the cam upgrades.

·
FF Affiliate
31,087 Posts
If they dropped it they should replace it

Summit has no SVT cams those would be Zetec cams and they wont work in the SVT , find a used stock one

Tom

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts

·
FF Affiliate
31,087 Posts
issue with cat cams is the "mild" upgrades over stock increase duration but reduce lift. There is like a 0.050" reduction in lift vs stock while duration is increase by 12 degrees. The difference in exhaust cams is 20 degrees of duration but little (<0.010) difference in lift.

Personally, Id try and find a stock cam. itll be cheaper. And a bump in compression and tune will yield more useable power than the cam upgrades.
Dont worry so much about the lift as much as duration , overlap , etc , I have a SVT engine less then .385 lift making very good dyno # (much more then stock) with less then 10.5 compression and no port work

I would still replace the stock cam and keep going

Tom

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i have a factory cam installed but i have some problems with valve clearances. any idea where i can get shims??????

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Ford.
But there is the off chance that someone with a 'junk' motor might have some lying around to sell, slim chance though. And being virtually no one has cams in an SVT the odds of someone having a few from a cam swap are even slimmer.

·
FF Affiliate
31,087 Posts
i have a factory cam installed but i have some problems with valve clearances. any idea where i can get shims??????
The SVT doesnt take shims you have the change the whole cam bucket to change adjustment , not sure if you knew that

Tom

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i did but i was just wondering if u could put shims under the bucket. either way i have to get them from ford i guess

1 - 18 of 18 Posts