Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dealer says I need brakes all the way around on my 2002 Focus SVT and wants $650 for the job. Says the rotors are "too thin to save." The OEM parts are very expensive and I've never been impressed with the braking performance of this car. I put Hawk pads on my Ford Probe and the braking improved a ton. I was thinking about doing this on the Focus, especially since they cost a few dollars less than OEM pads.

I'm going to get a second opinion on the rotors. Can anyone tell me the run-out specs front/rear? If it turns out I have to replace them, does anyone have an aftermarket recommendation? Price is important. The dealer wants $90 each front and $65 each rear. I'm looking at Centric rotors which are $60 each front and $40 each rear.

I'd appreciate any recommendations. Thank u for yr help.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
> Do [you] land jets on an aircraft for a living?

Purely as an interesting trivia aside, I believe jets land on aircraft carriers without using brakes, depending entirely on the arresting cable, so that if they miss the cable they have enough speed to take off again, e.g., you don't need any brakes to land jets on aircraft carriers.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
I think the point he was trying to make is how fast does this guy want his car to stop? The SVT has braking performance that puts it in the same territory as cars that cost four to five times as much.

I would look at a good set of aftermarket blank rotors...either Brembo or Centric with Hawk HPS or EBC Greenstuff pads on all four corners. All told, you'll probably be looking at spending around $300-350 for all the parts. $650 for a four-corners brake job is a total rip-off.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some SVT brakes may have "performance that puts it in the same territory as cars that cost four to five times as much," but mine are particularly squirelly in the rain (you can feel the rotors having to dry off before everything hooks up). In the few panic stops I've had to make, I always feel like I'm running out of pedal, never being sure that I'm going to pull up short of the car in front of me (and I don't tailgate). I've had the car for 3 years and it's behaved this way since I got it with 19k miles on it, so it isn't just because the brakes are worn. My old Probe GT suffered the same symptoms, and they disappeared when I put the Hawk pads on.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
"I think the point he was trying to make is how fast does this guy want his car to stop?"

I know. As well as the point that the stock brakes work quit well.

I was merely pointing out that, as an interesting OT, but related to his comment, factiod few people know, landing on an aircraft carrier involves little, if any, use of brakes, making it a perhaps not that good of a comparison.

I myself found it rather interesting when I found that jets are on full-throttle after they hit the deck and head towards the arresting cable.

Lighten up a bit.

·
WWTPD?
1,735 Posts
Sometimes you guys debates stuff in here WAY to seriously.

All that aside, the SVT breaks are excellent as they come stock. If you werent impressed, you'll have more to look forward to with some upgraded blanks and Hawk HPS pads all around. Like Ska mentioned, the 650 is a total rip off especially for an OEM job. Get the parts yourself, and if you have the time do the job yourself as well.

If the mechanic says they are too worn, Id tend to believe it. If they could be turned down, hed do it and collect some labor cost. Even if they werent, that car has how many miles on it being an 02? You will need them eventually. I needed new rotors at 60k on my old zx3.

·
CloudNine88's Man
3,465 Posts
I say you get the aftermarket sruff, the rear brakes you need a special tool is what I hear, so have them do just the rears, and the fronts are fairly easy. Since price is a factor, you could save a few bucks.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
^
If you crack the bleeders open its possible to push the rear pistons in with a pair of needlenose pliers; when you look at the piston there's a cross pattern that you need to grab with the pliers and just turn as you push and they go right back in. I'm speaking from experience on this; I had a set of SVT rear discs waiting to go on my car and that's how I pushed mine back in.

·
CloudNine88's Man
3,465 Posts
Well then there you go. It'll take you maybe 2-3 from start-finish, and it'll save you a couple hundred bucks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanx for all the tips. I usually use a small c-clamp to push pistons back into calipers. I probably go with Centric rotors and Hawk pads. I drive like yr grandma most of the time, but whenever I've been in a pinch, the brakes have never had the grab I like. I'm sure the new parts will make a difference.

Thanx again.

·
CloudNine88's Man
3,465 Posts
Never had the grab?!?! [screwy]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts