Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been working on a rebuild got everything together and started it up then the alternator died after getting that replaced it was working then it started tapping. I saw that the crankshaft pulley wobbled so i got a new one. That worked for a bit now the belt squeals and wobbles again. I am lost at what to do any advice would be appreciated. [?|]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes the key on the pulley seems to be a little larger letting more play than there was when I first put the new pulley one. I tightened it to 80ftlbs I did not use loctite. It seems like it is going on to far and rubbing against the oil pump. Which is probably why the key would get worn I'm just not sure why it is touching.

·
Registered
637 Posts
See if you can grab the pulley while its tight and see if the crank walks back and fourth (side to side if your looking at it from the front of the car). Could be worn out thrust bearings. There have been a few SPI's that have had that happen to.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I replaced all the bearings when i did the rebuild. I'll check if the crankshaft has some play. It seems mostly the pulley. Hopefully Ill be able to look at it this weekend.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Did you replace the pulley or the crank? I've seen a Subaru destroy the crank because of this problem before.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used the same crank, i relpaced all the bearings. I have replaced the pulley it fixed the wobble for a bit but then it came back.

·
Registered
637 Posts
It sounds like the key is sheered off almost. But you said its fine right? Lets see if someone who knows more would chime in

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah the Key is still in place its the key hole in the pulley that seems to be affected. I seems to get wider. Could another pulley not being alligned cause this?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts