Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2002 Sonic Blue project

2103 23
I just joined the forums yesterday and I introduced myself in the New Members Area if you want to see my first post and a little more info on this car. I’ll post the pics of what I bought and plan on making it look as stock as possible. Hopefully you guys can help me with my journey in finding the parts I need. Any questions let me know

SVT Juice intro

Attachments

Reactions: pbfoot
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You got that up around Marine City, right? I saw that car when we were looking for ours. Is that a CF hood?
That’s right, I saw it online and contacted the owner and we agreed on a good price. I live in Texas and haven’t seen the car in person. I’m in the process of getting it shipped right now. I’m not sure if it’s carbon fiber hood, I’ll let you know when I see it in person. He also sent me a video and the engine sounds great and sounds like it still has the stock exhaust. I had a 2002 Focus SVT about 10 years ago, so I know what they should sound like.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Finally I received the Focus SVT last week and just barely saw it today. I had a friend give the shipper guy the money and tell him where to park it. This Focus is really rusted and it does have a hole in the frame where the spare tire sits. It didn’t come with a spare tire but a new full size tire. It does smell a bit bad so I covered the floor and seats with cat litter. Engine does start and sounds good but I think the clutch will need to be replaced. The parking brake doesn’t work, passenger door doesn’t open from the inside nor outside, driver side window is slow to roll up. The 2 front tires are flat so I can’t drive it. Brakes are all rusted so I’ll have to replace those. I also plan to replace all the suspension parts. You can see from the pics the damage it has.

I know it will need some work and that’s why I paid $1,200. I’ve already began cleaning the dash and the seats and the inside, but I know the rest I can’t do it on my own nor I have the time since I’m rarely home. This will be my “fun” car and I think I’ll have to get a salvage title for it but not sure on that yet. I still haven’t taken it to a mechanic but I’m asking some coworkers who know mechanics that specialize in Fords or compact cars. I’m pretty sure he’ll say it’s not worth fixing up. In my opinion I think it is worth fixing up. Any questions or comments let me know.
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Gear shift

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Daytime Grille

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky

Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Window Automotive tail & brake light

Hood Sleeve Collar Headgear Dress shirt

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Black

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Get to work! Lol.
I definitely will. I went to a nearby body shop and they said the rust is too much and dangerous. I told him to find a ZX3 shell with a sunroof and to do an engine and transmission swap and a complete interior swap. I live in the dessert, so there shouldn’t be problems finding rust free cars. The paint does dry up in the dessert if you’re not constantly washing it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wood Art Sculpture Tints and shades Ceiling

Hand tool Pliers Tool Bicycle handlebar Metalworking hand tool

Handwriting Wood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas

It’s also the trunk and the engine bay. I’ll pass that suggestion to my body shop guy. How much did you pay for all that?
I did the work myself but subframe was about $250. These cars tend to rust easily so when u replace parts you may want to give them a coat of paint to help prevent future rust. I’d say try n maintain the car you have seeing as how SVT’s are become a lot more rare. May pay off in the long run with the vin going back to a rare car.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great advice. The Focus is still at my place and the body shop guy hasn’t fully examined it yet apart from the pics. I’ll see what he says and what he recommends. If I had a garage I’d learn how to do the work myself but I’m also hardly home since my job requires me to be away from home a lot.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just to give you all a heads up. I did find a red 2002 Focus SVT with no engine and transmission and a couple of parts pulled apart. Got it delivered to me on 4/5/22. I’ll be installing the engine, tranny, and exhaust from the blue one to this rust-free Focus that’s had only one owner. The guy I bought it from said the owner, which was an old lady, burnt the clutch and didn’t want to repair it. The suspension will also need to be re-installed, as the guy who bought it was stripping it down for parts, and he did sell some. The blue one was just too rusted for me. Hopefully all work will be done by the end of May.
Car Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Tire

Tire Wheel Car Automotive parking light Vehicle

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

1 - 20 of 24 Posts