Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed an exhaust leak from the front of the car. I took off the heat shield covering the exhaust manifold and it feel as though exhaust is leaking from under a flange on the side where a tube bolts on to the exhaust manifold. It looks as though I could losen the nuts and pull the flange off and then replace or put some sort of gasket under the flange and seal up the leak. Anyone else have any tips.

Thanks

Dave

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
Pics would help. Also, Zetec or SPI engine?
I have a feeling you're referring to the EGR pipe take off but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not sure what type of engine it is. It's a 8 valve 2 liter engine. I got the heat shield off and found that the flange where I guess the egr tube bolt to the exhaust manifold did indeed have a gap. I tightened the top not on the stud and when I attempted to tighten the bottom one it snapped off. There is a little nub of of a stub there, but it looks like it would be pretty tough to get it out from that angle. I guess I am going to try to use some sort of JB Weld and tighten it up and see if that helps as like most of it money is tight. If that doesn't work I guess I will have to live with it until I get the cash to have somebody fix it for me.

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
I am not sure what type of engine it is. It's a 8 valve 2 liter engine.
For future reference, it's an SPI. Cam cover will confirm.

Search the site for SPI engine pics and EGR pipe repairs. Broken EGR pipes can cause running problems depending on where the leak is.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts