Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 2002 ford focus zx5 used with 150,000+ miles. I have been driving it for about 6 months now with this engine vibration/miss. It seems to smooth out upon accerlation. There were no dashlights showing. I took it to the Ford dealer to have a diagnotic done on it and nothing showed up. They told me that it was not coming from the engine but could not tell me what it was. They said that these little cars were bad about these vibrations once they got a few miles on them. The other day my son was driving home from school when he said the vibrations got really and bad the the faucet light and the gear light with the ! in it came on the dash. He was not far from home and made it on in. I have not been able to check on it since he has it at college. I told him not to be driving it until I could check it out. Any ideas?

·
Registered
17,455 Posts
Someone remind me to never use a Ford dealership in Birch River WV..............

Probably overheated it to go into failsafe cooling mode meaning engine may now be damaged. You can't count the number of cars in the junkyards that were 'not far from home and made it on in.', they commonly blow head gasket or worse, if that's what happened. The gear light generally indicates severe cooling problem or transmission issues.

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
They told me that it was not coming from the engine but could not tell me what it was. They said that these little cars were bad about these vibrations once they got a few miles on them.
The origiinal problem could have been passenger side hydraulic engine mount failure.
"These little cars" don't vibrate when they accumulate miles unless said engine mount, tires and possiblly wheel alignment need attention. Not a very satisfactory answer from a dealer.
Second set of more severe vibrations may have been unrelated to the first.

And I agree with amc49; no matter how painful, in the long run, it's less expensive to stop and get the car towed than "limp" home. Oh well, can't undo that I guess.

btw, what's the "faucet light"?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Wait, a wheel alignment and bad tires can help cause vibrations?

I know mounts play a major role in this, especially these crappy aftermarket Anchor mounts, which I shall be changing probably after Christmas. [chairfall] They rattle my butt off in the seat.

·
Registered
17,455 Posts
Any hard vibration and noise coming through say interior dash when cold and better after engine warms up is pretty much pass side mount and Anchor replacements are often as bad as the old one was.

Alignment and bad tires can impact only when car is MOVING. A really bad pass mount will vibrate even up at highway speeds and often felt much worse by passenger through floorboard.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts