Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay heres the problem, my wife has a 2002 Ford Focus with the 2.0L Zetec, it is a plain 4 door sedan. It has about 70K miles on it and up until now has ran perfect, but now it has developed a problem. One day several months ago, she was driving and I was in the passenger side when she said it felt like it jerked/died so to speak. I at that time thought it was just maybe shed hit a rut in the road but I had it happen to me a couple of times after that but I never really thought much about it. Now about 3 weeks ago it developed a clicking noise that is constant on the front drivers side wheel. It clicked when you were driving but when you put the brakes on and stopped the car it would stop. It did this for the first week and half then it just stopped, went away for about a week and now its back. But my wife says that in the past week the car has jerked/died/misfired several times to the point where it is making her not want to drive. If i can explain it right it can happen at any time, driving 65 MPH or just starting to accelerate. It feels like the transmission or engine jerks or hesitates for about a second like the car is either trying to die or the gears slip. (BTW its an automatic). Its very frustrating because its hard to tell if its the engine or the transmission. Other than that it doesnt overheat or have any idiot lights that light up. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem might be?

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
Did you ever get the fuel pump replaced? Your a 2002 and I believe they had a defective fuel pump. Sounds like that might be the problem. COuld also be a plugged up fuel filter.

·
Late for Dinner
15,332 Posts
70k, ever change the plugs and fuel filter?
it may also be time for a new timing belt.

and no, the 02 did not have a fuel pump recall. 00=01 only.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
^
You're partly correct; the '02-'04 MY's have an extended warranty on the fuel pump to something like 150,000 miles/10 years. The difference is they won't fix it unless its broken on a '02-'04 but they'll do it regardless on an '00/'01.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I found out my fuel pump was replaced. The previous owner got it done. The Ford dealership said my Focus was built in May of 2002 and only the later 2002s might not qualify for a fuel pump replacement.

The fuel pump might be your problem spike.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
i used to have a similar prob, but mine was due to 2 cracked plugs. i also got my fuel pump changed. i have a 2000 zx3 by the way. my car would start and immediately die all the time, along with it cuttin out on sharp right turns, but that was it. do u have like a popping sound at idle. i'd check the plugs. its cheaper at least. let us know. when i got the fuel pump recall done i still had to pay over 50 bucks for the damn fuel filter.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
surgeo1919 said:
I found out my fuel pump was replaced. The previous owner got it done. The Ford dealership said my Focus was built in May of 2002 and only the later 2002s might not qualify for a fuel pump replacement.

The fuel pump might be your problem spike.
They're trying to pass the buck...ALL '02-'04 Foci qualify for the replacement...its just a question of is the pump dead or not? If they pull the gas tank off and its fine you'll pay for the labor, if not they have to cover it.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
when i was at the dealer today trading in our zx3 the guy did say one of the cyclenders wasn't fireing. we dont know what it is but our car was an 02

1 - 8 of 8 Posts