Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All:

I have a 2002 Ford Focus ZX3. Being from 2002 the driver side door has been opened and closed countless times. The speaker wires inside the door conduit are breaking. The speaker works find when the door is wide open, but when I start to close the door, it gets crackly, and then stops working when the door is closed.

I know what the issue is, just a simple broken wire. I just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas how difficult of a repair this type of thing would be. If it is easier enough, I might attempt it myself.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
You will probably find that the wire conductor is broken (or partially broken) or that its insulation has deteriorated and it is shorting out against other wires whose insulation has also deteriorated - this is a very common problem on older Fords. The area that has these issue is inside the flex 'umbilical' where the wires exit the door and go thru a connector at the A pillar. You may be able to repair the wires without removing the entire harness from the door or you may have to partially remove the harness from the door. Also to access the individual conductors inside the umbilical you will probably need to remove (unpin) the connector - then the conductor(s) can be isolated and repaired . For me these types of repairs are not a big deal (at least when the arthritis in my back is not acting up!) but if you are not experienced and/or have the right tools it could be difficult.

Paul

·
Registered
18,227 Posts
Same here, short pieces of wire patched in will fix that cheaply but the skill level shown there is what impacts the success of the work.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts