Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I have a 2002 MK1 Facelift Focus and recently had the left fog light blow out; I finally got round to purchasing a pair of LED ones and when replacing them I found that the connector for the one I needed to replace, looked like it had burnt out; what could have caused this and would it be worth just replacing the connector for a new one?
I have checked all the fuses and also checked to see if there are any signs of moisture damage but all seems to be ok.

The other issue that seems to have occurred is that the main bulb on the same side (passenger side) blows out quickly; only this time the connection for the main light is fine and there looks to be no immediate signs of a problem (again all fuses are ok and the connection is perfect when I opened it). Could the two be related in some way as they are on the same side? Is there something else I can check or do to ensure that a new fog light connector does not fail and\or another main bulb doesn't blow?

Cheers Guys :)

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Corrosion, poor connection can all result in a connector going bad. Clean or replace as needed.

Harness ground on that side for the lights MIGHT be related to shorter life. IF it's bad enough to make the lights flicker, life would be reduced.

One for each side found on top of the "frame rail" section of the body behind the light area.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advise; the light doesn't flicker at all (main light); I did replace it with an old bulb I took out but have now replaced it with a new one... I have also cleaned out the Fog connector and will see how that goes, do think I need to replace it but I may just do that when the weather gets a little warmer.

Another thing I have noticed it that my speedo goes a-wall and jumps about when it's cold or been really damp for a few hours, do you have any advice regarding that? Seems a common fault but I don't know if it is worth looking in to as it only happens when I first drive it and the car hasn't warmed up fully.

Thanks Again :)

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
You'd have to get into cleaning connectors (speedo/VSS) first, then maybe cluster P/C board cleaning or even replacing the VSS if needed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks again mate; appreciate your advise on those issues... will revert back if something doesn't work, hopefully it'll all end up sorted before the summer

1 - 5 of 5 Posts