Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys my First post ,I have been reading this forum for about 6 months with great results so i decided to join, Here is what i got.
02 Focus ZX5 Ztec DOHC motor iam getting some wierd fluid on the ground over night it is right in the middle of the oil pan and tranny when i look under the car.
When i drive the car after it warms up i come to a stop light iam getting a little white smoke from under the hood on the driver side it has a very bad smell.

When i pop the hood it looks like something is leaking on the exhaust manifold right were it bends to go back under the car.

Thanks

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,590 Posts
Oil from a leaking valve cover or coolant from a leaking thermostat housing would be the first items to check.

Does it look like oil or coolant on the ground?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I originally thought it was the valve cover but i fixxed that and changed the pcv hose as it was collapsed in the bend in the back
Iam thinking it is Power steering fluid it is clear looking when i rub my finger in it and has a oil smell.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Do you have a manual or an ATX?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
That eliminates brake fluid from a clutch slave cyl. (clear when fresh).

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
You'll still need to visually trace the leak to it's source IMHO, since Ford ATF is the std. fill for both power steering & the transmission.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Thermostat housing on the Zetec is at the driver's side (left) end of the head.

These are a common leakage area, and any drips from there would end up on the center bottom & the ground.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sailor Can you see in the first picture there is something leaking by the exhaust manifold... I think i have a couple things leaking , is it possible the valve cover is leaking onto the manifold like that? I was pretty sure valve cover was fixxed

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Gotta look at the valve cover area to see if any leakage of OIL comes from that high up, can't tell by looking at the bottom.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts