Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 focus SE with an automatic. It has an issue that i cantfigure out and desperately need help. What it does is it randomly dies. You can be riding down the road and all of a sudden the electric will just go out... no warning. I will coast , usually like 15 to 30 seconds.... and then it will come back on and its fine. If i try to start it during this period, it clicks like a dead battery. Sometimes it will still go but at drastically reduced power. if i jump it when it does this, its all good and drives fine. If i charge it overnight it will start without fail...

There is no rhyme or reason to it or what makes it do it. it just does it whenever it feels like it ......

help !!!!!

Thanks !

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
Usually that's a sign of a charging system problem or perhaps an electrical short. When the car dies does everything fail - including instruments, lighting, etc? How old is the battery? Any other symptoms? What's the "battery" light on the dash doing?

Do the easy stuff first: Ensure the battery post terminals are clean, corrosion free and secure. Make sure any wires coming off the battery are tight. Clean and secure the engine grounds.Test the voltage at the battery with a multimeter. You should see 12V off, 13.5-14V running. Check the charging wiring circuit for shorts, breaks or chafed wires. Specifically, check the electrical connector at the back of the alternator.

Also, simply because the battery will take a trickle charge doesn't mean it's necessarily good. Have the battery load tested. I think it may be as simple as an old battery if your alt is performing properly. Try swapping with a known good battery and see if that resolves the problem.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts