Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. So a week ago someone stole my truck, they took my whole key chain, including my Focus keys with the chips. I have ordered a couple more keys but in the meanwhile I am totally stuck living in the middle of the woods and I cannot even get to the store.

I have a key with no chip that came with the car keys when I bought it. I can unlock the doors and ignition and turn the key but with no chips it will not start. I located the starter relay and attempted to jump it with the old paper clip trick and it just cranks endlessly but will not fire. The relay is four pronged with a top, bottom, left and right hole and I’m trying to jump the top and bottom. I have the clutch pedal depressed while doing this.

This Focus has always started for me within two seconds, so I was wondering if anyone might know what I might be doing wrong here. I need to get groceries and my new keys won’t be here for another four days.

Thanks in advance, guys.
John.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Hey everyone. So a week ago someone stole my truck, they took my whole key chain, including my Focus keys with the chips. I have ordered a couple more keys but in the meanwhile I am totally stuck living in the middle of the woods and I cannot even get to the store.

I have a key with no chip that came with the car keys when I bought it. I can unlock the doors and ignition and turn the key but with no chips it will not start. I located the starter relay and attempted to jump it with the old paper clip trick and it just cranks endlessly but will not fire. The relay is four pronged with a top, bottom, left and right hole and I’m trying to jump the top and bottom. I have the clutch pedal depressed while doing this.

This Focus has always started for me within two seconds, so I was wondering if anyone might know what I might be doing wrong here. I need to get groceries and my new keys won’t be here for another four days.

Thanks in advance, guys.
John.
If you do not have the correct transponder key then the PATS (anti theft) system will not allow the car to start. Look at the red PATS light in the dash. With the key out/OFF it should blink once every 2 seconds. When you turn the key to ON it should light for 3 seconds then go out. If it does not or blinks rapidly then that indicates a fault. There is no way to 'bypass' the PATS - you will need to have a new transponder key made which is programmed to your PCM($$$).

Good luck
Paul

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
If you do not have the correct transponder key then the PATS (anti theft) system will not allow the car to start. Look at the red PATS light in the dash. With the key out/OFF it should blink once every 2 seconds. When you turn the key to ON it should light for 3 seconds then go out. If it does not or blinks rapidly then that indicates a fault. There is no way to 'bypass' the PATS - you will need to have a new transponder key made which is programmed to your PCM($$$).

Good luck
Paul
Hi Paul, thank you for your response. I was under the impression that the PATS system would prevent the vehicle from even cranking, and when I used the key I have without a chip, it would not even crank at all. New keys are on the way, and I can have a hardware store cut the key since I have the pattern. But I definitely can not afford a locksmith, and I have seen videos of folks starting early 2000’s Focus with the relay jump ... does this mean that they disabled the PATS system, and can I do the same? My PATS is gen 1, and I hope I can at least program the new keys on my own.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Hi Paul, thank you for your response. I was under the impression that the PATS system would prevent the vehicle from even cranking, and when I used the key I have without a chip, it would not even crank at all. New keys are on the way, and I can have a hardware store cut the key since I have the pattern
What is the PATS light doing when you crank it?

Paul

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is the PATS light doing when you crank it?

Paul
The PATS light is flashing fast as soon as the key turns, and it keeps flashing while I’m jumping the relay. Can Gen 1 PATS be disabled? The thieves were kind enough to wreck my truck and of course they took the keys with them anyway when they ditched it... had to buy new locks/keys for my house, garage, shed etc. and now I’m beyond broke.

Thanks for the help
John.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
The PATS light is flashing fast as soon as the key turns, and it keeps flashing while I’m jumping the relay. Can Gen 1 PATS be disabled?
John,
As I mentioned before PATS cannot be bypassed/disabled.Your no start is caused by the fact that your PATS/PCM has disabled the injectors. The key you purchased will need to be programmed to the PCM in the vehicle by someone that has the proper software.

Good luck
Paul

·
Registered
18,090 Posts
X2, the car cannot be started without that key chip, the PCM must find it to free the software up to start the car. No way to get around it without re-encoding the PCM to a matching chip.

·
Registered
Ford Focus SE Sport 2003
206 Posts
Actually, the car will crank but not start if it cannot find the code in your key. On my 2003, if my hand is blocking the signal and I go too fast in turning the key, the engine will crank but not start once in a while. As soon as I clear the key it will start normally.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
UPDATE: I was able to scrape together the funds to hire a locksmith because he only charged $185 to come out and program a couple new keys. He told me if I don’t want to ever have to deal with PATS again I should cannibalize one of the new keys and super glue the chip near the ignition cylinder. Apparently this way I can use my unchipped key in case of emergency.

Paul, I appreciate your time! Thank you, and apologies for being a bit stubborn, I was just very surprised there was no way around PATS and bummed about my recent misfortune(s).

Cheers

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
UPDATE: I was able to scrape together the funds to hire a locksmith because he only charged $185 to come out and program a couple new keys. He told me if I don’t want to ever have to deal with PATS again I should cannibalize one of the new keys and super glue the chip near the ignition cylinder. Apparently this way I can use my unchipped key in case of emergency.

Paul, I appreciate your time! Thank you, and apologies for being a bit stubborn, I was just very surprised there was no way around PATS and bummed about my recent misfortune(s).

Cheers
(y)
Sounds like you paid the going rate.

Paul

·
Registered
18,090 Posts
I actually have two cars set up just like that with the chip mounted under the steering column cover. There is a convenient notch in the steering column casting to place the chip inside a piece of vacuum hose and then plastic wiretie it down to not move around. The cars are old enough nobody will ever mess with them and you still have to have a key to turn them on.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I actually have two cars set up just like that with the chip mounted under the steering column cover. There is a convenient notch in the steering column casting to place the chip inside a piece of vacuum hose and then plastic wiretie it down to not move around. The cars are old enough nobody will ever mess with them and you still have to have a key to turn them on.
+1 Thank you for the info! I am conflicted about the chip mount, because my F350, 7.3L Lariat got stolen in broad daylight in a town I’ve lived in for eighteen years. Get this. My truck was bought by the original owner for $49,000+ from the dealer in 2000. My 2000 Ford Focus (my previous Focus) had the PATS system AND an alarm to go with it, but the $50k truck had no security system whatsoever, and just a standard metal key 🤷‍♂️.

I live way up in The Sierra Nevadas and meth is becoming a serious problem around here, so I guess if an old Focus SOHC was going to be stolen anywhere, it would be here.

But I think I’m going to do it anyways, because I was stuck in the woods with no car for days and I need to make sure that never happens again. Thank God at least I’m mobile again.

Cheers, AMC

John.

·
Registered
391 Posts

Cheers
I took the cover off the column and taped the one chip I had to the column using electrical tape...has worked for over 8 years...of course this reduces security....I had only one key with a chip...then had other keys made as spares...

·
Registered
18,090 Posts
Life is about compromises. luck to us all.

Let the car get dirty, thieves often will not give a second look to a dirty car. I drove both dirty Foci to a job I had on the red light street in Dallas where every sort of ill could happen and parked all night on 3rd shifts in a completely dark parking lot back facing away from X-rated businesses. The cars on both sides of mine were constantly broken into but mine being dirty never was if simply kept locked. The thieves assume if you don't keep the car up there is nothing inside it worth breaking in for.

That assumes of course there are other better choices right there to compare with.

You still have the PATS light working to show the system is there and if one fears enough then rig a switch within easy reach but not visible to cut some circuit needed to start the vehicle and they will give up when it still won't start as they will think the PATS is doing it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts