Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new here, so thanks for letting me join up and hopefully for answering this question!

I'm originally from the uk, fell in love with an American girl, had long distance relationship and then decided to move to the states and get married to her.

Now we are married and I'm not going anywhere, her grandma has offered us her Focus SE, which has been sat on the driveway for the last 18 months. I put the battery on charge and just tried starting it and it cranked, started and I kept my foot on the throttle, but the engine just stopped running regardless after about 45 seconds.

What should I try from here? I'll be getting replacement air filter, oil filter, spark plugs and was just wondering what else I should get or look at in case after doing this it still doesnt stay running.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
02 SE- what engine is that? If it's the SPI, then you need to check compression on all 4 cyls. If you have low compression on one cylinder- usually #4- then you are about to lose a valve seat. You'll need to remove the cylinder head, and take it somewhere to have new valve seats installed and the head rebuilt. If you do that, it will last for a while, if you don't, then it won't. If the valve seat falls out while it's running we tend to see holes in pistons, cylinder walls, or the head.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, that took a while longer than I hoped! I was finally able to take my NY state test in June, Got insurance for the car last month and went to the DMV to change the title and get plates for it last week.

Towed it to a mechanic, as after I'd tried more with heet and hoping, I could tell it was low fuel pressure/nasty gas. The mechanic confirmed this, and proceeded to replace the fuel pump, filter, the hardest job I could do - dropping the tank and disposing of the bad fuel (for some reason my wife was against me doing that in the driveway), cleaned the tank and put in new fuel. That was $330. Ouch, but I guess it had to be done. He also changed the front rotors and pads, cleaned the rear drums, changed the other fluids and 'gave' me some used tyres as the rears had perished. All of that put it up to $570.

He wanted to put on a new front control arm, drive belt and get all of my tyres replaced, but that would've put it up to $1100, which I couldn't afford in one go! It needs 70 miles of driving, he said, for me to go back to get it inspected, but I've finally got it going, and can finally start going to play Ice Hockey!

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
Glad you got it fixed.
For future reference, on this side of the pond:
1) it's "tires", not "tyres"
2) there is no need to qualify the term "hockey" with the "ice". There is no hockey but ice hockey.
[poke][:D]

·
Registered
628 Posts
Trunk haha, boots are for feet over here.

Sent from Stefan's Phone

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After I close the trunk (aren't they Elephant noses?) I'll open the bonnet and check the oil and water :)

·
Registered
628 Posts
After I close the trunk (aren't they Elephant noses?) I'll open the bonnet and check the oil and water :)
I'm done here -_-

Sent from Stefan's Phone

·
Registered
153 Posts
Bonnet, boot, windscreen, tyres.....all sounds good to me. But then again I had a 1968 MGB! lol [cheers]

end thread hijack..

Pav

·
Quarter Tank Racer
2,124 Posts
I'm done here -_-

Sent from Stefan's Phone
[facepalm]

Watch some Top Gear, will you?

Steev: we call them trunks stateside. If I had to hazard a guess why, it's because they resemble a treasure chest, which I think were often referred to as "trunks" on ships. It doesn't matter to me, since I don't have one...I have a hatch, and it's called that everywhere. :) As for "hood" and bonnet, I guess those could go either way. They both refer to items that go on a head, so...

Where in NYC are you? Not many of us in the city.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I know he was messing around haha. I just got too lazy to keep going. I honestly love what they call car parts over the pond.

Sent from Stefan's Phone

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ha, yeah, I'm just messing... I'm in Queens and I love Top Gear, I have been known to watch the American version too, it's not as bad as some people say.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ha! I'm in Queens, and yeah, was just messing around, know you we're too Stefan...

Funny how we came up with using different words for the same things though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts