Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, my name is ed. I recently came across this site looking for help with my car. I just spend alot of money on brakes, tires, and shocks so I can't send it back to the shop now. Last week the car stalled but I got it back started and the dash gauges started to go crazy and the car started to buck then all the gauges went off with the car still running. The car then stalled again. I replaced the battery and the car ran great for 3 days now I'm having the same problem. It will stall and if I give it a jump it start but then dies. But not all the time. One time it stalled and I wiggled some wires and it started but within a few minutes it started bucking with the gauges going crazy only to stall. Now it on starts when jumped but quickly dies. Hopefully you guys could help me out. I'm in a tight situation and would truly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Start by checking your main battery ground from the battery to it's grounding point for ANY corrosion/rust.

What wires did you wiggle?

Post findings

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help, I wiggled the positive and negative wires then it started but that was before the dash started freaking out. And the bucking and stalling started.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked the ground wire and there is a half inch section where you can see the cable rubbed against the battery box and the black cable cover is wore exposing the cable but it is not broken or anything. Just able to see a little bit if the wires inside

·
Registered
609 Posts
Thanks for the help, I wiggled the positive and negative wires then it started but that was before the dash started freaking out. And the bucking and stalling started.

If this means the cables are NOT attached so tightly that you can NOT twist the connectors, you have a problem.

-worn insulation on ground cable, then repair or replace.
-examine all neg and positive battery cables/connectors. Repair/replace any corrosion/rust. (check both ends of the cables)
-reconnect all connectors so they are clean and TIGHT! Dielectric grease is good.

Your battery is probably under charged so have it fully charged and tested (AutoZone, etc). Asking your alternator to recharge a discharged battery puts a big load on it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE- I changed the alternator yesterday and the car is running like it did when I first got it. Great! I let it idle for 30 minutes then I drove around with my dog for 2 hours and the car was acting like it should.
Hopefully this will help someone in the future.
Thank you to all for your gracious help and time. King and I truly appreciate it as this car is important to us. How else am I going to get him to the dog park.
Take care.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts