Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

My GF has a 2002 4 door Focus. I'm pretty sure it has a 2.2L in it. It's been sitting in a garage for about 2 years due to a convoluted bankruptcy/multi state divorce.

Anyway, it won't start. The battery was dead so I put a new one in it. It'll try to start but won't start. The starter goes, but that's it.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I have some car work experience but nothing with starting/fuel work.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
A: no 2.2 was ever installed in a Focus, only a DOHC and SOHC 2.0.

First off, I would pull the spark plugs. Generally I can start a car that's been sitting for a long while without any spark plug issues, but let's go there first. Clean the plugs with a wire brush or a knife, check the gap on all. Put the plugs back in, and hook the wires up. I'd also check the ignition to be sure that all the wiring is connected to the coil.

Really, you should change the fuel filter, but you should be able to get it started without changing the filter. If you do change the filter, you'll need to change it again within a month because all the crud on the bottom of the fuel tank will eventually end up in the filter. The filter is located under the car in front of the passenger rear wheel, it is just in front of the fuel tank. A 5/16 or 8mm with extension will remove the bracket, to release the clips press on the flat part of the clip and pull.

For now, I'd put as much high test fuel in the car as I could. If you open the fuel tank, you'll probably smell a sour smell. That's old gas. Generally you can get it to burn by adding new fuel. STP gas treatment will help, as well as any type of fuel injection cleaner. The cheaper ones will probably be the best to go with so you can use more than one per tank for the next few tanks. If you can siphon the tank, that would help, do that before you add new fuel. There will still be decayed fuel on the bottom of the tank, but within a few tanks that should be gone.

Now, before starting, check the oil. Oil should be ok. I'd change it soon, but still use the old oil to start the engine and figure out any running problems. To lubricate the cam and bearings before starting, use the "Emergency start method" listed in the owner's manual. All you have to do is this: with the key OFF, press the accel down completetly and hold, turn the key to START and crank the engine for 15 secs. No fuel will be sent to the engine using this method, so it will not start. I suggest doing this at least twice before trying to start the engine normally unless you feel the battery is weak. This will help lubricate the top end of the engine before starting.

Any more help on the exact engine in that car will be beneficial. Check the VECI, it should have more information, or look at the engine. With some experience you should be able to tell the difference between a DOHC and SOHC by looking at the engine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]HELP![:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] My 2001 ZX3 with the DOHC zetec engine won't start. I replaced the cylinder head. I made sure to have my TDC ok. I have all my electrical plugs connected. The car cranks but doesn't start. almost like when my first timing belt snapped btu I have just replaced it. Checked a spark plug to see if its firing and it is with the little bit gas smell from the cylinder head. What is it???

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
A: no 2.2 was ever installed in a Focus, only a DOHC and SOHC 2.0.

For now, I'd put as much high test fuel in the car as I could. If you open the fuel tank, you'll probably smell a sour smell. That's old gas. Generally you can get it to burn by adding new fuel. STP gas treatment will help, as well as any type of fuel injection cleaner. The cheaper ones will probably be the best to go with so you can use more than one per tank for the next few tanks. If you can siphon the tank, that would help, do that before you add new fuel. There will still be decayed fuel on the bottom of the tank, but within a few tanks that should be gone.

Now, before starting, check the oil. Oil should be ok. I'd change it soon, but still use the old oil to start the engine and figure out any running problems. To lubricate the cam and bearings before starting, use the "Emergency start method" listed in the owner's manual. All you have to do is this: with the key OFF, press the accel down completetly and hold, turn the key to START and crank the engine for 15 secs. No fuel will be sent to the engine using this method, so it will not start. I suggest doing this at least twice before trying to start the engine normally unless you feel the battery is weak. This will help lubricate the top end of the engine before starting.

Thanks for the help! The oil is good. Ignition seems okay. I put two bottles of fuel system cleaner stuff in the tank and put about 10 gallons of high test in the tank. It was almost empty to begin with so it is almost full now.

I did the emergency start procedure a couple times too. The only other thing I did was put about a shot of gas into the throttle opening.

The car started up but after about 40 seconds or a minute it died.

I realized I had forgotten to reconnect the air intake to the throttle so I did that and put a bit more gas in the throttle. With everything connected it started again and died again after about maybe a minute. I tried giving it a little gas (pressing on accelerator) but it died anyway.

I am really happy it started since that means some oil got circulated.

What should I do now? How can I get it to stay running?

I am not really able to siphon the gas tank so the little bit of old gas remains.

Oh yeah, the engine is indeed a 2.0L. I was confusing it with my Cavalier 2.2L. It's a 2.0 SPI. I hope this helps!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys.

I'm still hoping to get some suggestions on what to do to get the Focus to stay running.

Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
First you should change the fuel filter in case there is something crudded up in there which is causing a slow supply of fuel. Then fill the tank up with gas. Don't use any more FI cleaner. It should run on what's in the tank, and there's no need to siphon out the old fuel. However, you should change the filter again within a couple of months.

I'd also pull the spark plugs, clean them, check the gap, and put the plugs back in. Also, make sure that everything is connected under the hood- especially the vacuum lines.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The fact that it starts with direct fuel to the engine shows that you are not getting fuel to the engine. That means check your fuel cutoff switch/fuel filter/fuel pump/fuses. Then, check for fuel pressure at the engine. Then, you may need to clean the fuel injectors. Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts