Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my car has been overheating while in traffic, but will cool back down once i get some speed.

I noticed the fans aren't kicking on so i replaced the fuses, relays and even the entire fan assembly but the fans still aren't kicking on.

one of the connections on the old fan assembly had visible signs of it being blown inside the connection.

The A/C itself does not come on in the car when i hit the button the light stays off not sure if that would affect it at all.
*edit* i swapped the fog light and a/c relay and now my a/c comes on but only on fan speed 1. so i think the blower motor resistor may need to be replaced to fix that. would that cause my rad fans to not come on?

any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
15,560 Posts
Replace that connector, the reason why low fan does not come on. Two motor resistors in the car, that one which goes to rad fan and the blower motor one, which is inside the car, it controls interior a/c blower motor, two separate things there.

You may need a rad fan resistor too if it is melted like that connector.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just swapped out the entire fan assembly and they are still not coming on. The car still overheats. I'm stumped. I replaced the relays and check the fuses.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
...now my a/c comes on but only on fan speed 1. so i think the blower motor resistor may need to be replaced to fix that. would that cause my rad fans to not come on?
If A/C compressor comes on in position 1, but not cabin fan, then that is a blown resistor block under the dash.

No, that would not cause the rad fans to not work.

If cabin blower resistor block is blown, then pull the blower fan and check it to make sure trash is not in it and that it spins freely.

Check this thread: https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/general-technical-chat/245260-how-zetec-ac-heater-fan-motor-removal.html

·
Registered
980 Posts

I noticed the fans aren't kicking on so i replaced the fuses, relays and even the entire fan assembly but the fans still aren't kicking on.
Basic radiator cooling fan power circuit integrity test:

Remove the low and high spped fan relays from the BJB and momentarily jumper (with at least 12 AWG wire) the power/load contacts in the BJB for each and verify that the fans run in low and high. Let me know if you need more specifics.

Paul

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts