Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, well a friend of mine and I were talking about gas... and I brought up that my 2002 ford focus (hatchback/automatic) gets about 15 MPG... he balked at the figure...

I thought it was normal... but I looked around and it seems to be an extremely low number, in fact I've seen people that record their gas mileage getting twice that with good driving habits.

I've been primarily using freeways and going posted speeds, I fueled up today and calculated my mpg at 17, better than 15, but it seems pretty low still if the records I read of mid to upper twenties is accurate...

Is this the gas milage I should be getting openly cruising, or is something wrong with my vehicle?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Check air filter, fuel filter, tune up. Etc.. Your Gas mileage is quite low

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
^^ Ditto. Unless you are a very aggressive driver, you should be getting more than that.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
What are you running for wheels/tires ... stock?

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
How exactly are you figuring your mileage? Usually when I see figures like that the person is filling up, driving until the fuel light comes on, then dividing the mileage on the trip odometer by the fuel capacity- 14 gallons. That produces low numbers like that on an otherwise good running vehicle.

The proper method is to set the trip to 0 when you fill the tank up to F. Drive until the fuel light comes on, and then fill up again. This time write down the number of gallons you used- on my car typically 10-11. Divide the mileage on the trip odometer by the number of gallons it took to fill the tank up again.

If you're filling up somewhere that tells you that you're putting in more than 14 gallons when you fill up, then you should call the state's dept of weights and measures on them. You should also go to another fuel station- and tell everyone you know not to go there for fuel.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@whynotthinkwhynot: the second and more accurate method you listed is exactly how I measured it.

@iminhell: Completely stock. I'll double check and post the tires tomorrow.

Actually I drive like a grandma everyone tells me xD

I checked filters a couple weeks ago, they were clean (but will check again). Will see about the rest.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
FWIW, the reason both me and Alex went to something math related first is that normally when someones getting that poor of mileage they raise concerns about the car being under powered. When you run as much fuel as you have to be running there is a noticeable loss of power.

As of right now all I can think of is a fuel leak, hole in the tank maybe?
Could be an EVAP hose is not connected and fuel is evaporating out of the tank. But that generally takes a while to make any significant impact.

See if you can find someone local with a similar Focus and drive theirs, or one on a used car lot. Maybe you just don't notice what's all wrong because you haven't driven one that is working correctly. Could really help us help you.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry, I'm all for accepting advice, truly and I appreciate the input but I don't see how it can be a hole or leak, it has for as long as I have had the car gotten this kind of mileage, regardless of sitting there for three weeks at times when I couldn't afford to drive. Never smelled gas anywhere on it either.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
I know a leak may sound unlikely but, when the average mileage should be around 26mpg and you're getting 17mpg. That's roughly a 30+% drop in mileage. The ECU is only able to add 25% more fuel. Which would put the lowest possible mileage around 19mpg.

So even if the O2 sensor is disabled and the car is running open loop all the time, which would throw a check engine light, you've still got a few mpg's unaccounted for.

The other thing is I'm running big injectors and Ethanol, which takes 30% more fuel than Gasoline. I've got a hard time getting that low of mileage. I'm averaging 24mpg and the lowest I've gotten is 19mpg.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts