Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I'm new and was referred to this thread for help with performance parts. Iv been looking for 4-2-1 headers, bigger injectors and would like to decat the exhaust. I currently have a K&N intake and magnaflow cat back. Any help is appreciated!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
SVT header conversion is popular for a 4-2-1 header, ORP pipes are available.

Wouldn't go for different injectors except for forced induction, tune next as that can be adjusted when header is added (or both at once).

Cams at some point?

·
FF Affiliate
31,102 Posts
SVT header is the best header for the Zetec engine that money can buy

You wont need larger Injectors for what your doing at this time

I will be glad to help you with the tuning

Tom

·
TARBO-PANDA
4,910 Posts
Who said it was an SVT? lol.

Don't have to jump to that (unless you are an SVT-er)

lol. I have an OBX 4-2-1 sitting in the garage. Been off the car since I HAD to go turbo. ROFL.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have the same situation, 2001 ZX3 and have been researching this a little. We basically have four options:
Opt 1. A long tube 4 into 1 type header such as this one. I have not called this place to get the details. Not sure if everything pictured is what you get OR just the header & rap??
http://www.protuninglab.com/hds-ff0...googlepepla&utm_medium=adwords&id=87012368578
This option will work out to be the cheapest since the one header I have checked out bolts up to the stock ZX3 flex pipe. It basically replaces the stock exhaust manifold & CAT. No other parts needed.
Opt 2. A long tube 4-2-1 header specifically for the ZX3 such as part # H10069S at this sight:
http://www.sparktecmotorsports.com/ford-ford-focus-exhaust-headers.html
It also replaces the stock manifold & CAT and also hooks up to the stock flex pipe.
Both options 1 & 2 should not require any additional items like a new dip stick, CAT or ORP BUT both leave you without a CAT.
Opt 3 is a new SVT 4-2-1 header such as the one at the same sight as opt 2 part # H11108S. This option requires several other items as listed in the great write up that sailor included in his reply. Thanks sailor. I had read that a while back but had forgotten about it during my last three plus weeks of researching a new exhaust.
Opt 4. Basically the same as opt 3 but you purchase everything used. This would be a much more cost effective way to go. There are some exhaust parts & systems for sale now here on FF. Just surf the threads. I agree with 1turbofocus that 4-2-1 design is overall best design. It really is a factor of several things but it always gets back to HP & money.
I'm considering opt 4 BUT sending the the parts out to some place like jet-hot coatings to have them coated. That drives the cost back up though?? Since I don't have to worry about emissions testing, opt 2 seems like a very good option also. Cost would be keep down since I only need to purchase the header for $175 + shipping. I haven't thoroughly checked for the cheapest pricing/availability yet either for new stock items. There are some really nice exhaust pieces out there including high flow CATs but it sure eats up the cash in a real hurry. I'm sure there are some hidden cost WRT gaskets and or bolts that are not included in various "kits" At least that's what I'm plannong anyway.
I also have some classing concerns WRT SCCA autocross racing. I need to check what I can do....if anything and still remain in H street class. The SVT was relegated to H stock (now H street) a few years back which kind of threw the ZX3 to the curb. I mean the SVT has 35+ hp, 4 wheel disc breaks, the racing suspension and a manual transmission WITH an LSD. How can someone say these two cars are equal i.e. lets put them in the same class. O well.....I love a challenge. I hoping I can add anything SVT to my ZX3 and remain in class. If that's the case, that might force me to opt 3 or 4.
If anyone out there has some good info on my classing issue, let me know.
1turbofocus / Tom. I need to learn about the ECU tuning issue. You seem to be the man WRT that. Is there a write up about that detailing what to do / how to go about it?

·
TARBO-PANDA
4,910 Posts
I have the same situation, 2001 ZX3 and have been researching this a little. We basically have four options:
Opt 1. A long tube 4 into 1 type header such as this one. I have not called this place to get the details. Not sure if everything pictured is what you get OR just the header & rap??
http://www.protuninglab.com/hds-ff0...googlepepla&utm_medium=adwords&id=87012368578
This option will work out to be the cheapest since the one header I have checked out bolts up to the stock ZX3 flex pipe. It basically replaces the stock exhaust manifold & CAT. No other parts needed.
Opt 2. A long tube 4-2-1 header specifically for the ZX3 such as part # H10069S at this sight:
http://www.sparktecmotorsports.com/ford-ford-focus-exhaust-headers.html
It also replaces the stock manifold & CAT and also hooks up to the stock flex pipe.
Both options 1 & 2 should not require any additional items like a new dip stick, CAT or ORP BUT both leave you without a CAT.
Opt 3 is a new SVT 4-2-1 header such as the one at the same sight as opt 2 part # H11108S. This option requires several other items as listed in the great write up that sailor included in his reply. Thanks sailor. I had read that a while back but had forgotten about it during my last three plus weeks of researching a new exhaust.
Opt 4. Basically the same as opt 3 but you purchase everything used. This would be a much more cost effective way to go. There are some exhaust parts & systems for sale now here on FF. Just surf the threads. I agree with 1turbofocus that 4-2-1 design is overall best design. It really is a factor of several things but it always gets back to HP & money.
I'm considering opt 4 BUT sending the the parts out to some place like jet-hot coatings to have them coated. That drives the cost back up though?? Since I don't have to worry about emissions testing, opt 2 seems like a very good option also. Cost would be keep down since I only need to purchase the header for $175 + shipping. I haven't thoroughly checked for the cheapest pricing/availability yet either for new stock items. There are some really nice exhaust pieces out there including high flow CATs but it sure eats up the cash in a real hurry. I'm sure there are some hidden cost WRT gaskets and or bolts that are not included in various "kits" At least that's what I'm plannong anyway.
I also have some classing concerns WRT SCCA autocross racing. I need to check what I can do....if anything and still remain in H street class. The SVT was relegated to H stock (now H street) a few years back which kind of threw the ZX3 to the curb. I mean the SVT has 35+ hp, 4 wheel disc breaks, the racing suspension and a manual transmission WITH an LSD. How can someone say these two cars are equal i.e. lets put them in the same class. O well.....I love a challenge. I hoping I can add anything SVT to my ZX3 and remain in class. If that's the case, that might force me to opt 3 or 4.
If anyone out there has some good info on my classing issue, let me know.
1turbofocus / Tom. I need to learn about the ECU tuning issue. You seem to be the man WRT that. Is there a write up about that detailing what to do / how to go about it?
I will say an 4-2-1 adds a some sexy sound to your zx3. Been there done that. I do have an OBX 4-2-1 I'm looking to get rid of, but obviously not trying to force a sale on here.

It all depends on what you're looking for in the end...

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
#1 option is scary, can't tell what they're actually selling from the info. there. (mixed pictures/descriptions)

#2 is the OBX mentioned, that's a known import option with variable reports over time on quality.

I haven't looked lately to see what's currently avail. from our domestic sources for the zetec.

SCCA classing is odd & constantly changing, the racing sections aren't REAL busy here but there is good help/info. there - just takes a while for answers. BTW - SVT doesn't come stock with a limited slip diff. so you aren't facing that at least (grin). Last I looked at current rules a CAT is required near stock location for many classes.

One other thought FWIW - I remember "shorty" headers mentioned before as being SO similar to stock that there was no useful gain from them. Option #1 mentioned is described as a two piece system, MIGHT be something like that.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
Shorty headers would be useless without the supporting mods. Tb, high flow air filter and a cat back and even then you're only getting 2-3. Good news is that you have them and you don't move up in class. The cat is still in the same spot. (that's what the guy at mine told me) however a tb throws you up above stf. At that point you either lie about tb or not do either.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So if I got 2001 svt headers would they be a direct fit to my 2001 zx3? Does it matter that I have a magnaflow exhaust? Also why do you recommend not putting bigger injectors in?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Never mind I found sailors svt link! Thanks I appreciate it! Tom, I'd definitely be considering having you help with the tune by the way!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
"Bigger" (higher flow) injectors won't help at all unless you're approaching the limits of the current ones, and you'd have to get a tune to use them. Too large & they wouldn't work well at low load, as they'd tend to supply too much fuel.

Imagine the injectors as a faucet that's intermittently turned on & off completely - either wide open or closed. Pressure & time open controls fuel flow, that's why pressure is controlled. If too large, short open time give more fuel than required. If to small, they don't flow enough even when open most of the time. Time open is the intermittent pulsation controlled by the PCM.

Proper sizing is to have an injector that's open time falls in the middle of the range, so there's room for adjustment to either side for less or more fuel flow as needed.

High horsepower turbo applications reach the flow limits, so they need larger injectors. When not using any power adders (supercharge/turbocharge/nitrous) the stock injectors are usually adequate for N/A gains. Extreme build that's tuned, you can add them if needed. Tuner can let you know if you're approaching a need for larger ones based on duty cycle of the injectors at WOT.

Gave a longer explanation to help with "why".

Cheers

1 - 17 of 17 Posts