Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi
I just bought this 2001 zx3 focus and it was driving well until recently.

every time I try to accelerate the car hesitates and wont really accelerate for a couple of seconds. this problem dosen't matter what gear i'm in it does stop if i drive in a high enough rpm (about 3000 and up)

i scanned the car no codes are coming up. I also checked the spark plugs and coils they were all new and in great shape. I checked the compression and they all were good. I checked for vacuum leaks and could not find any, not ruling it out yet.

any help would be appreciated thoughts and links to other threads.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to General Tech Chat, as it's a repair question.

TPS (throttle position sensor) is one guess you could check with a multimeter, it needs to know you just wacked the throttle open & by how much to give it extra fuel for acceleration before airflow can change.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
No problem, you found a section for the correct model, this is just a better place for the type of repair question to get more looks.

Welcome to FF!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Are few things to consider:

-TPS as mentioned - In my case, the Motorcraft unit was cheaper than the aftermarket ones.

-PCV hose that runs around the back of the engine to the intake manifold could be collapsed/deteriorated.

-DPFE sensor

There's a ton of other things that could possibly be wrong with it, but these are ones to replace first if you're just looking to replace parts.

Before doing anything, you might want to check for codes to see if there's anything present. That's what I'd do.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the tps tested out fine, and I have checked for codes many times periodically and none come up.
thanks for the suggestions. I will check those out.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
PCV hose is likely for this car.

Don't overlook the obvious, like squirrels nesting in the airbox. Chased performance issues for awhile before thinking to check that--just replaced a few weeks earlier so didn't think of checking again.

And yay for keeping another yellow hatch on the road!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im looking into that right now, my hose was patched together at some point before my ownership so I am really hoping it is that because after this it turns into a wild goose chase with various sensors and other possibilities as soon as I get out of class today I will replace and update with any progress.

thanks for all the imput.
and don't mean to crush you high spirits but i hopefully will be painting another color soon enough. im not loving the yellow its too bright.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts