Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have an issue with my 2001 zx3 that I'm hoping someone can help me with. The clutch lost all feeling of pressure one day and would not go into gear. After some research, I changed out the master cylinder. I primed it with dot 3 before installing and maxxed up the brake fluid level which wasn't low.

After changing it out, the clutch had a very short throw and was able to get it in gear and got it home, about 2 miles. I checked for leaks and made sure everything was secure and it was all good. I drove it about 5 miles to make sure everything was ok and it slowly started to degrade to a point where it wasn't able to switch gears again. I was able to keep it in first first gear and lirch it home.

I checked the fluid level, which is good and i checked for leaks and there were none.

I tried bleeding the system by putting a hose on the bleeder valve, filling it with dot 3 and had someone slowly depress the clutch half way while i opened the bleeder valve. No air came out, just more brake fluid.

I was going to check the lines for any pinhole leaks and double check the master cylinder lines are secure. I am not sure what i should check or do next. What is the proper way to bleed this system? I've seen a million videos and one is using a vaccuum procedure, another is just using a line like i did, and another uses a syringe method. I'm contemplating of flushing the whole system but i dont know what the procesure is for that.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why did you change the MC - the problem may be the SC inside the trans.

Paul
Someone suggested it could be the issue. I didn't see any leaks but i figured since the car was sitting around for 2 months, i had to try something.

I hope it isn't the slave cylinder, everywhere i called said it's around 800 to change out.

Is there anything i can do to check if it is?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
The slave is inside the transmission housing, so you'll have to crack it open to replace it. You might want to replace the friction disc while it's open anyway, given the age of the car (unless that's been done in the past few years). At least have a new one handy, in case.

I would have suggested the slave as the main culprit based on your description. Usually the master starts by leaking rather than failing internally (and you know by the slippery pedal). It sounds like you've done a thorough job of bleeding and leak-checking, so I'm afraid the slave is likely the problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts